PS3: No visual

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Hong Kong, hiding from the Kommies!
I hope this is the right sub-forum for this:

HELP!

I have used this PS3 many times, let it rest for months, go back to it, rest, than go back to it, and now, no visual.

I get the Sony intro music fanfare, but no visual.

Stats:
HDMI between PS3 and Yamaha amp.
HDMI between Yamaha amp and TV.

I tried just PS3 straight to TV. No sound, no visual.
I exchanged HDMI cables, PS3 to TV. No sound, no visual.

I did the old fashion hook up with the R, W, Y cables, from PS3 direct to TV. No sound, no visual.

Back to original hook up using HDMI as stated above, SOUND, but no visual.

WTH!!

My last trouble shooting method is to wait until Sunday and test the HDMI cables (2 of them) and the old cable way, with his system.

It's hard to believe both HDMI cables could go bad so soon.

Warranty is long finished, and I can only think it's the PS3. Will have to pay for this fix.

Any other ideas I missed?? GDP.....please help?

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Actually I was at the FixYa site today.
Basically, those folks say to hold the touch on/off button for 5 secs to reset.

Also, changing HDMI cables. Thanks for your help.

Use the second link provided above by Absinthe.

It looks as if you have tried all the normal suspects and need to reset to factory vid settings on the PS3 itself, and then reset your TV to factory as well.
I got it to work using the console cables (R,W,Y) direct to the TV.
Shitty quality actually.

Basically, with the trouble shooting, one HDMI cable not working, AND no media can be recongnized.

Took it to the Sony Service Center. They verified the HDMI not working, as well as no media.

They will have a looksie for about a week. Cost me about 12 bucks for the service so far. I'm OK with that.

I asked the service guy what is the major problem with PS3 with their customers bringing them in for service.
He said, "Blueray DVD player".

May need to replace that.

Anyways, I took the cables to my brother-in-laws for him to check.
Turns out that BOTH cables worked fine on his system.
I just don't understand that.

I have to sit back a week and wait for the Sony boys to call me with the damage report.

Thanks for you ear.

Gzus

\m/ >< ..l.
Founder
Jun 20, 2009
booshz.
www.istheinternetfuckingawesome.com
Mate of mine works for Electronic Arts as an graphic artist, and he also test games on all the most popular consoles. He, and his colleagues, swear by the XBOX 360 PRO.
So, just in case your PS3 died, you might wanna think about getting an XBOX.

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
OK, got the call from Sony Service center.

Turns out to be the DVD drive LED reader. They replaced it and it'll cost me about US$120.............AND will be covered for another year.

I'm satisfied..............

Turns out the PS3 is the only Sony device that is covered only a year unlike their other products that have 3 and 5 year warranties.
Shows how much they themselves trust the life span.

Negativecool

Gold Member
Founder
May 30, 2008
Internet
Turns out the PS3 is the only Sony device that is covered only a year unlike their other products that have 3 and 5 year warranties.
When I worked in Sears electronics, a lot of our merchandise was covered by a 90 day parts and labor warranty with only a few of them being a 1 year or over parts and labor warranty.
1 year is usually sufficient, extended warranties are for saps...

...in most cases.

It sucks your PS3 took a shit on ya.

SlimSkeeter

OK, got the call from Sony Service center.

Turns out to be the DVD drive LED reader. They replaced it and it'll cost me about US$120.............AND will be covered for another year.

I'm satisfied..............

Hehe...I just dusted off one of my 2 atari 2600's from got knows how long ago. They still work perfectly. And I found that I own 2 of the games that pretty well bankrupted Atari and forced a sale of the company (E.T. which is, according to several lists, the worst game EVER made. For any system. Ever. And Pac-Man, which they apparently failed to get permission to make. The lawsuit helped to bury them)

"Built to last" is a foreign concept anymore.

Negativecool

Gold Member
Founder
May 30, 2008
Internet
Hehe...I just dusted off one of my 2 atari 2600's from got knows how long ago. They still work perfectly. And I found that I own 2 of the games that pretty well bankrupted Atari and forced a sale of the company (E.T. which is, according to several lists, the worst game EVER made. For any system. Ever. And Pac-Man, which they apparently failed to get permission to make. The lawsuit helped to bury them)

"Built to last" is a foreign concept anymore.
The Atari 2600 was as sophisticated a turd wrapped in cheap wood paneling. Once devices started shooting frickin laser beamz to read frickin games, that's when the issue of longevity really started getting dicey.

My day one PS2 still works great, my old Sega CD still works. Some people get the bad ones, some people get the good ones. Meh.