Reality vs Perception

Mamba

Uranium
Founder
May 22, 2008
This topic has always fascinated me. I found this article last night and thought I would share.

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread557097/pg1

Science tells us reality doesn't exist

The main obstacle of science today is materialism.

Science tells us that the universe doesn't have an objective existence outside of our perception of it. The Mind creates reality.

Sadly, many scientist are materialist so they will always search for a materialist explanation even though the evidence tells us there isn't one.

Those who study things like the Unified Field of Consciousness or Idealism realize this is what we should find because the Mind creates reality.

For instance, you don't taste food. Your mind perceives what Spaghetti or French Fries should taste like. This is why when you have a cold and your nose is stuffy, everything basically taste the same. This is because the smell of the food determines how it will taste. This smell signals the brain and your mind perceives how Fish or Apple pie will taste.

Have you ever wondered why food loses its flavor when you have a cold? It’s not your taste buds’ fault. Blame your stuffed-up nose. Seventy to seventy-five percent of what we perceive as taste actually comes from our sense of smell. Taste buds allow us to perceive only bitter, salty, sweet, and sour flavors. It’s the odor molecules from food that give us most of our taste sensation.

When you put food in your mouth, odor molecules from that food travel through the passage between your nose and mouth to olfactory receptor cells at the top of your nasal cavity, just beneath the brain and behind the bridge of the nose. If mucus in your nasal passages becomes too thick, air and odor molecules can’t reach your olfactory receptor cells. Thus, your brain receives no signal identifying the odor, and everything you eat tastes much the same. You can feel the texture and temperature of the food, but no messengers can tell your brain, “This cool, milky substance is chocolate ice cream.” The odor molecules remain trapped in your mouth. The pathway has been blocked off to those powerful perceivers of smell--the olfactory bulbs.

Nobody has ever touched matter. When you touch a hard table or a soft pillow the electrons from your hand repel against the electrons from the pillow or table and your mind perceives things like hardness and softness.

The Mind constructs reality.

This may be an obstacle that's hard to overcome because many scientist are materialist.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And this one: "The Power of Choice"

What is reality but a concept unique to each of us? Can anything be classed as real when our perceptions differ greatly on so many things? Just because we see something a particular way does not make it so. We can be so insistent sometimes that our way of seeing something is more right than someone else’s way.

Keep an open mind at all times and remember that a point of view is always valuable to each individual. I always used to class myself as someone who was ‘realistic’ but after contemplating this further I realised that the term ‘realistic’ means something very different entirely.

Putting Things Into Context

Lets take the example of war. There are some people who believe that war is necessary sometimes to get peace and then in order to keep the peace. There are other people who will believe that war is evil and should never be entered into no matter what. Who is right? Is war right or wrong? That’s just an example and I’m not here to answer that question.

I’m here to demonstrate that reality is a very fluid concept. What you see as real is only defined by your belief structure. Your version of what is real is only your perception of it; not what is so. I remember some time ago doing a radio show with one of my young co-hosts. Her version of reality was all about gang crime. That was because of her perception of life which was also became her reality. It didn’t make it reality for me and my reality was very different to hers.

“We see the world, not as it is, but as we are” – Talmud

Choosing Your Perception

Here’s another example: Lets say an event occurs in your life. You have the choice about how you respond to it. Lets say you have a death in the family. (I use this example because of it’s something I’ve been through.) You can choose to see that event as something terrible and tragic to which you will respond accordingly. Or, you can choose to see that event and something that inspires you to make something more of your life; living every day as if it was the last, so to speak.

From that example you can see that you may or may not have control over the events in your life but you can certainly take control of how to respond to them. That part of life will always be within your power. This is where life gets interesting because you shape your own reality through your beliefs.

Your belief structure determines your perception which then ultimately determines how you respond to events. Going by that sequence you can then see that there is another place to start. You can choose to examine your beliefs and then choose to change them. That’s why I say that everything begins with a choice.

Skewed Perceptions

Human life is seen as very precious on Earth because people believe that humans are the top of the food chain. Other forms of life take second fiddle. It’s only a belief but the truth is many of these other life forms sustain us and were it not for them we wouldn’t be around anymore. That is more a realistic than thinking that humans are superior.

There is no such thing as reality. There is only ‘your’ reality which is essentially your perception. Remember that what you believe to be true is only as true as your worldly experience and it doesn’t go any further than that. Even many scientific theories are just that; they are theories! It doesn’t make them so.

Everyday scientists are making discoveries that are forcing them to throw out the old text books and write new ones. As much as we think we may know how life and the universe works I promise the limited knowledge will continue to re-written over the coming centuries.

It’s important to note that how you choose to perceive things is how they come across to you. Am I being a hypocrite in stating this? Is this just my reality? I guess in some ways yes I am being a bit of hypocrite but this in my theory on universal principles. I believe that your power to choose how to perceive things makes them appear that way to you.

http://www.unlimitedchoice.org/blog/meditations/perception-vs-reality/

Thoughts, comments?

SlimSkeeter

That's always something that has fascinated me, as well. According to certain theories in quantum physics, a thing simply doesn't exist until you observe it. Apparently the math (which I don't have the symbols for on my keyboard) works out to show that until something is observed, it exists in sort of a wave function. EVERY possible way it can exist is taken into account in that wave function, and when it is observed, the function collapses and YOU, being the observer, have created that reality.

The thought experiment often referenced as Schrodinger's Cat is a good way to wrap your mind around that. Put a cat in a box along with a poisonous gas set to be released if a small radioactive particle degrades and sets off a mechanism to release the gas, thereby killing the cat. Seal the box. You have no way of knowing if that particle has degraded or not without opening the box and looking, so until you DO that, the cat (remember, this is hypothetical) literally exists in both states (alive and dead) because there is no proof to favor one outcome over the other.

Copernicus

Noob a little less
Jul 27, 2010
Reality vs. Perception

A young boy was given a homework assignment to define the difference between reality and perception.

He goes up to hsi father and asks "Dad, what's the difference between Reality and Perception?"
The father replies, "tell you what, son. Go ask your sister if she'd fuck a complete stranger for $1 Million dollars".
The kid asks why and the father tells him, "shush now, just go ask her and come tell me what she says".

So, the kid goes up to his sister and asks "hey, would you fuck a complete stranger for $1 Million bucks?".
She tells him "Oh, hells yeah! That's a LOT of money".
"OK, thanks, he tells her.

Kid goes back to his father and the father asks what the sister said.
He tells his father, who then tells him to go ask his mother the same question.
"But, Dad, why?"
"Don't worry, just do it", the father tells him.

"Mom, would you have sex with a total stranger for $1 Million dollars?"
"Well, son", she replies, "I always taught you to be truthful, and that is an awful lot of money, so I'd have to say yes, I would".
"Ok, thanks mom", and away he goes back to his father.

"So", his father asks, "what did she say"?
"She said yes, too", says the boy.

"Well, there you have it", the father tells the boy.

"I don't understand", says the boy to his father.

"Well, the PERCEPTION is that we have a nice family with a saintly wife and virginal daughter", while the REALITY is that we have two sluts in the house!"

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Hong Kong, hiding from the Kommies!
That's always something that has fascinated me, as well. According to certain theories in quantum physics, a thing simply doesn't exist until you observe it. Apparently the math (which I don't have the symbols for on my keyboard) works out to show that until something is observed, it exists in sort of a wave function. EVERY possible way it can exist is taken into account in that wave function, and when it is observed, the function collapses and YOU, being the observer, have created that reality.
Interesting.

What if, say, a flower that was growing in some remote mountain valley, maybe say, in the Himalayas.
Would it need our observation to give it existence, or does it exist for its own self, with or without ones consent?

SlimSkeeter

Interesting.

What if, say, a flower that was growing in some remote mountain valley, maybe say, in the Himalayas.
Would it need our observation to give it existence, or does it exist for its own self, with or without ones consent?
According to that theory, without observation it both exists and does not exist (at the same time, no less). Only by observing that particular area can the wave function be collapsed and then the flower is either there, or it isn't. Nor does that guarantee the continued existence.

Also...there is nothing in the theory (as far as I know) that says humanity has any trump card in collapsing wave functions.

Think of it as a choice...you pick one way and that is your reality. But perhaps somewhere in the multiverse you picked the other way. Another you is living out that choice in an equally valid universe. And that happens for every choice you make.

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Think of it as a choice...you pick one way and that is your reality. But perhaps somewhere in the multiverse you picked the other way. Another you is living out that choice in an equally valid universe. And that happens for every choice you make.
So choosing and picking are the key words here.

If I choose to focus my mind on a particular reality, say, I want to be a famous rock star and live the life of a rock star, the nerves in my brain will move, hook up and group over to an area in the brain and concentrate on creating that reality, making things come into existence that will propel me to the life of a rock star (though maybe not famous but at least living the life of a rock star).

Things will start to come into place. The right people, the right circumstances, the right things, that before, were not there for me, but are now starting to exist in my life to fulfill my dream, and so we do indeed create our reality and are therefore, some very high percentage, responsible for our current reality and all we need do, is focus and concentrate, day dreaming, mantras and so forth for the reality we desire. Yes?

If we are "struggling" ( as some have expressed on this forum ) to live or are living a "shitty" life, it is because we created it by making those circumstances appear that in turn, reinforce the struggling and shitty life we live. Yes?

SlimSkeeter

So choosing and picking are the key words here.

If I choose to focus my mind on a particular reality, say, I want to be a famous rock star and live the life of a rock star, the nerves in my brain will move, hook up and group over to an area in the brain and concentrate on creating that reality, making things come into existence that will propel me to the life of a rock star (though maybe not famous but at least living the life of a rock star).

Things will start to come into place. The right people, the right circumstances, the right things, that before, were not there for me, but are now starting to exist in my life to fulfill my dream, and so we do indeed create our reality and are therefore, some very high percentage, responsible for our current reality and all we need do, is focus and concentrate, day dreaming, mantras and so forth for the reality we desire. Yes?

If we are "struggling" ( as some have expressed on this forum ) to live or are living a "shitty" life, it is because we created it by making those circumstances appear that in turn, reinforce the struggling and shitty life we live. Yes?
Perhaps that was a bad analogy. Its not the choice that is the key, its the point that there are several possibilities in action at the same time. The Cat in the thought experiment, for example, is both alive and dead at the same time simply because there is no proof of either reality being favored over the other.

How about a smaller scale? Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle for example.

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Perhaps that was a bad analogy. Its not the choice that is the key, its the point that there are several possibilities in action at the same time. The Cat in the thought experiment, for example, is both alive and dead at the same time simply because there is no proof of either reality being favored over the other.

How about a smaller scale? Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle for example.
OK, will look that up.

But, um, well............you didn't build up much on what I wrote, with your opinion, consent, disagreement or what have ya.

SlimSkeeter

OK, will look that up.

But, um, well............you didn't build up much on what I wrote, with your opinion, consent, disagreement or what have ya.
Because the link does a better job of explaining what I was talking about.

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Because the link does a better job of explaining what I was talking about.
My point is, you didn't carry on the conversation and add anything as to what my great theorizing was all about. Dude, I was on to something big and instead you link me to something that you were trying to say.

I'll give it a read as I stated, but why not address my post with some feed back? Hmm? Just saying.

(I can see forums in the next 5 years from now will contain nothing but links and minus any dialog)

SlimSkeeter

My point is, you didn't carry on the conversation and add anything as to what my great theorizing was all about. Dude, I was on to something big and instead you link me to something that you were trying to say.

I'll give it a read as I stated, but why not address my post with some feed back? Hmm? Just saying.

(I can see forums in the next 5 years from now will contain nothing but links and minus any dialog)
You weren't on to something big, you were taking what I said and expanding it until it's ridiculous. I said, basically, that there is no proof something exists until its observed and that until a thing is observed it can exist in every possible state at the same time because there is no possible reality of that thing that is more prone to being than any other. You went on to talk about visualizing yourself as a rock star...

As I said, it may have been a bad analogy. I wasn't saying that the choice you made at any particular point was important. I was saying that in other realities you made other choices. That somewhere in the multiverse there may be a KommieKat who does indeed play in a band. Just like there may be a KommieKat who made amends with his first wife and lives with her and his kids in Japan. That is concurrent with the reality you are in now, though, and not a means to an end. Every choice you made in this reality formed who you are today. Elsewhere, whenever a choice was made, somewhere you made the opposite choice...or any of the other choices, if they were multiple choice.

SlimSkeeter

Ridiculous eh? Yeah, whatever.
You did ask for my opinion.

"Visualizing your way to success" has been a goldmine for self-help books...and unless you have the drive to make it happen, its a crock of shit, as well. But then, if you have the drive to make it happen, you don't need those self-help books.

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
You did ask for my opinion.

"Visualizing your way to success" has been a goldmine for self-help books...and unless you have the drive to make it happen, its a crock of shit, as well. But then, if you have the drive to make it happen, you don't need those self-help books.
I feel using Italics would have been better in place of your quotes, so as to limit misunderstandings, I never said (typed) that.

And in what way is Visualizing or imagining or creating or day dreaming or just dreaming and using your imagination a "crock of shit"? How ridiculous is that statement (notice this is not a question).
Do you have anything to back that up? I really don't thing you do.
Day dreaming and imagination is the first step, before putting it down on paper, which is one step before action.

Maybe Visualization didn't work for your reality that YOU are fully responsible for, but it worked for others.

My main point was not visualization as a technique, but rather the scientifically proven fact that the physical body, that being nerve bundles in your brain, take a major role in creating what you perceive as reality. My point was, there are neural connections being made with what you think or perceive in your head.

For example:
If you constantly play the victim role in your life and you must struggle to survive and that they are out to get you and you never have any luck and why is it nothing good comes my way...........then your mental thinking will create and manifest in your physical reality situations that will reinforce your desired outcome, whether you wanted it or not.
But what if, by actively choosing to replay a vision of a positive outcome instead of a negative one, wouldn't you set the stage for a more successful result?
And the more actively you use visual images during this process the more powerful your final results will be (negative or positive).

Take your example:
You wanted to parachute didn't you? Didn't you have a mental picture of it before hand? Didn't you put that into action by researching it and actually going out there to do it?
Didn't that not start in your mind first? Did not things come into place to make that happen that you may have overlooked before you had the interest? Things that were always there or came into place, at the right moment?

Yeah, you're right. Your mental imaging of parachuting and actually doing it was a crock of shit.

Now, getting back to your Schrodinger's Cat analogy. I do agree that in order for something to exist, it requires a conscious sentient being to be aware of it and without an observer it only exists as a possibility.
I also understand that it all lies in cognitive psychology, biology, parapsychology and quantum physics, and leaning heavily on the ancient mystical traditions.

Regards.