Restless Legs

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
some info here: http://www.wemove.org/rls/rls_cor.html

Though, there are quite a few places to get info... anyone else deal with restless legs?

If so, have you found any simple ideas to be at least a partial help?

Grrr @ docs. I have taken Reglan, and the doctor prescribing knew very well that I struggled with my legs. Another reminder I need to research the shit out of every. single. thing.

Incognito

Family
Mar 11, 2008
Florida
I think I have a mild case of RLS. Some nights when I'm trying to go to sleep, I get this uncomfortable urge to move my legs. It feels like the muscles just want to jump out of my skin... and the only thing I can do to relieve it is to curl my toes and flex my leg muscles until it stops. I hate the feeling... but thankfully, its not a nightly occurrence and usually doesn't last any longer than an hour or two.

Gravy

Trunk Monkey
Jul 1, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I get some of the symptoms but I wouldn't put it down to it being a disease as such. Most blokes I know do the "leg bounce" when sitting for extended periods of time.

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
While driving home today I listened to talk radio for a while. They actually talked about RLS. I am not sure if it really helps, but they talked about putting a piece of soap under your sheets:

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2009/11/10/soap-story-convinces-skeptic/
As gay as it sounds. I tried it. For 2 weeks. It ended up just being annoying, and my toddlers tried to remove the soap and chunk it around the bedroom. Every. Single. Morning. I noticed no improvement - but yay for those who do :)

I think I have a mild case of RLS. Some nights when I'm trying to go to sleep, I get this uncomfortable urge to move my legs. It feels like the muscles just want to jump out of my skin... and the only thing I can do to relieve it is to curl my toes and flex my leg muscles until it stops. I hate the feeling... but thankfully, its not a nightly occurrence and usually doesn't last any longer than an hour or two.
You = Lucky. If it was something I only dealt with on rare occasion, I probably wouldn't even think about it. But it's everytime I sit, lie down, am tired, be still... pretty much stop moving.

Ha. I was in the ER recently for flu/prego issues and they kept trying to get me to be still so they could strap all their monitors to me and my legs just. kept. jumping. The nurse was almost a little too excited to 'meet' someone with a real issue of jumpy legs. Consequently, they got zero worthwhile monitoring offa me - and I still ended up having to sit in that dumb position for an hour. Bad times.

I can supress and supress the urge to move - that almost 'electrically charged' feeling - for a little bit... but then a huge involuntary jerk results, moving my entire body... and bashing anyone nearby. Bah. When I was a teen, I'd never heard the medical term "RLS" and was attempting to describe my sleep issues. I told her it was like my legs were batteries, being charged, and then having to release it. She told me I had leg cramps. Oi.

Charlie horse and jumpy legs = two very different things. When I don't get enough calcium or potassium.. I do get charlie horses. Not the same thing. At all.

I get some of the symptoms but I wouldn't put it down to it being a disease as such. Most blokes I know do the "leg bounce" when sitting for extended periods of time.
leg bounce... as in the voluntary leg wiggle ? Or the sudden *bash boom* into the bottom of the table that leaves everyone around like 'wtf is your problem' ?

I really am wondering- because it would be strange to me that you know a lot of people with the same issue when I know very few - and almost all are female.

funeeman

Spank Me!
Founder
Mar 3, 2008
North Main Street
My cousin has this. The one thing they did is put her on Minerals. . . high in iron and I think vitamin B. Kind of a natural thing. This helped slightly. Then she was told to do moderate (not strenuous as it makes it worse to over work the muscles of the legs) exercise 3-4 times a week. After like 2-3 months this really helped the most. I know she has to avoid all caffeine, tea, coffee, pop and cold medications like benadryl because they make it worse. Also if you're on antidepressants or bi polar meds this can trigger episodes.

I don't think there is a cure for it. . .but doing the mineral and exercise can alleviate it all or reduce it by quite a bit. Its also rumored that playing with your vagina on web cam for middle aged men in the middle of the US will reduce it by 90%. I'm kind of busy but I'd be will to take one for the team to try and help you.

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
Thank you - this post is quite helpful :D

My cousin has this. The one thing they did is put her on Minerals. . . high in iron and I think vitamin B.
I have been doing this too. It doesn't really seem to help my legs, but the B vitamins seem to help better regulate my night/day orientation (I have a very difficult time sleeping.. mainly because of the jumping)

funeeman said:
Then she was told to do moderate (not strenuous as it makes it worse to over work the muscles of the legs) exercise 3-4 times a week. After like 2-3 months this really helped the most.
I'll be trying this. I always thought exercise to be unhelpful because I was very active before kids - no change. However, I don't think I've ever not pushed myself during exercise. I know this is the recommendation they give for fibromyalgia too - so theoretically, it should help both. That would be awesome :)

funeeman said:
I know she has to avoid all caffeine, tea, coffee, pop and cold medications like benadryl because they make it worse. Also if you're on antidepressants or bi polar meds this can trigger episodes.
^ this... spells DEATH =( I love coffee and tea. Didn't know about benadryl either. Also, during their experimental medicine period for fibro, they had me on several different anti-depressants that brought results in some cases of fibro... which might be why the gabapentin (which worked at first) suddenly stopped helping the RLS after about two weeks. I was on an anti-depressant/fibro thinger at the same time.

funeeman said:
Its also rumored that playing with your vagina on web cam for middle aged men in the middle of the US will reduce it by 90%. I'm kind of busy but I'd be will to take one for the team to try and help you.
Mhmm... you *do* realize I'm preggers, right?

Kashmir

Kiss my ass
Jan 30, 2010
some info here: http://www.wemove.org/rls/rls_cor.html

Though, there are quite a few places to get info... anyone else deal with restless legs?

If so, have you found any simple ideas to be at least a partial help?

Grrr @ docs. I have taken Reglan, and the doctor prescribing knew very well that I struggled with my legs. Another reminder I need to research the shit out of every. single. thing.
a disease?? well fuck..i don't deal with my legs..i just let them move..yours most move like hell for you to be looking for help..

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
You say that like it should seem nasty.....
To most everyone here, it is.

a disease?? well fuck..i don't deal with my legs..i just let them move..
It is not just the movement (and I do not believe it to be a disease). It's also the sensation. Difficult to describe... like being electrically charged and a spreading irritating, fuzzy-ish feeling through my thighs.

Too, the movement is my entire leg jerking - thus jerking my entire body as well. That sort of disturbs the relaxation process leading to sleep... or during sleep- thus waking me up. Constantly.

When I was younger and did the sleepover thing at girlfriends' houses, they'd often kick me out of their beds or make me sleep away from everyone else because I moved so much.

And to further demonstrate just how long this has been building.. when I was 4-5 years old, my mother was pregnant with my lil brother. To be allowed to sleep in her bed with her, I had to train myself to only sleep facing the wall so I wouldn't kick her belly.

kashmir said:
yours most move like hell for you to be looking for help..
Yes. Like hell would be about accurate.

funeeman

Spank Me!
Founder
Mar 3, 2008
North Main Street
Thank you - this post is quite helpful :D

I have been doing this too. It doesn't really seem to help my legs, but the B vitamins seem to help better regulate my night/day orientation (I have a very difficult time sleeping.. mainly because of the jumping)

I'll be trying this. I always thought exercise to be unhelpful because I was very active before kids - no change. However, I don't think I've ever not pushed myself during exercise. I know this is the recommendation they give for fibromyalgia too - so theoretically, it should help both. That would be awesome :)

^ this... spells DEATH =( I love coffee and tea. Didn't know about benadryl either. Also, during their experimental medicine period for fibro, they had me on several different anti-depressants that brought results in some cases of fibro... which might be why the gabapentin (which worked at first) suddenly stopped helping the RLS after about two weeks. I was on an anti-depressant/fibro thinger at the same time.

Mhmm... you *do* realize I'm preggers, right?
So? Pregger chicks are always horny. You'll just be kinkier.

Kashmir

Kiss my ass
Jan 30, 2010
To most everyone here, it is.

It is not just the movement (and I do not believe it to be a disease). It's also the sensation. Difficult to describe... like being electrically charged and a spreading irritating, fuzzy-ish feeling through my thighs.

Too, the movement is my entire leg jerking - thus jerking my entire body as well. That sort of disturbs the relaxation process leading to sleep... or during sleep- thus waking me up. Constantly.

When I was younger and did the sleepover thing at girlfriends' houses, they'd often kick me out of their beds or make me sleep away from everyone else because I moved so much.

And to further demonstrate just how long this has been building.. when I was 4-5 years old, my mother was pregnant with my lil brother. To be allowed to sleep in her bed with her, I had to train myself to only sleep facing the wall so I wouldn't kick her belly.

Yes. Like hell would be about accurate.
I have been reading about it and it's a lifelong condition for which there is no cure..try not to think about it and sleep alone always.

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
I have been reading about it and it's a lifelong condition for which there is no cure..try not to think about it and sleep alone always.
Wow. So some site says there is no cure - so your advice is not to think about it? I prefer to think that anything neurological in the body can be managed in some way. And yes, even without drugs.

Actually, I pretty much think that about anything in or about the body that is undesirable to a person.

I get the quip at the end, but you're too retarded for sarcasm to be cute.

Mamba

Uranium
Founder
May 22, 2008
oOOH. I jerk a lot before sleeping, and I get the leg twitching thing..... I always assumed it was more-or-less normal.

They have a "medical name" for everything nowadays.

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
oOOH. I jerk a lot before sleeping, and I get the leg twitching thing..... I always assumed it was more-or-less normal.

They have a "medical name" for everything nowadays.
I know, right? For the longest, I thought everyone must deal with the same thing and just somehow knew something I didn't. Then a family friend was going on and on about her RLS and how she had to stay on narcotics throughout her (2, one had to be aborted) pregnancy because of it.

Confused, I googled RLS and found that I'd been dealing with the same thing for most of my life. It kinda bothers me that there's a "name" and you can't just say 'jumpy legs' or some such without the 'syndrome' part.

It allows people to make excuses for themselves. "Oh, I have a disorder/syndrome/disease that takes responsibility where I don't want to."

I was on some very helpful medications before becoming pregnant again. However, the moment I ovulated and had had unprotected sex, I cold-turkeyed.

I know I'm veering off topic, but the whole medical minded steer of society frustrates me. Useful to me? Yes. But not an absolute way of life.

Also, that's why I'd like to find some other forms of dealing with my legs, because it is a fairly common thing - that I don't think should be a reason for a lifelong Rx note in the glove box.

Mamba

Uranium
Founder
May 22, 2008
Fuck diseases and syndromes. Unless it will kill you, I don't think much of them...You can live a perfectly normal happy life without having to resort to medications.

Pfft. Whatever next.

Narcotics for chattering teeth when you feel cold?

Ye Gods.