Resume writers

SittinGrumpy

Has anyone here ever used a resume writing service? If so, can you tell me about your experience, was it worth the money?

Thanks in advance for any insight you have on this!

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
Has anyone here ever used a resume writing service? If so, can you tell me about your experience, was it worth the money?

Thanks in advance for any insight you have on this!
Nope, never have.

Basically if an employer does not hire me with my greasy, coffee stained hand written resume then they are just a bunch of jew fags anyway.

funeeman

Spank Me!
Founder
Mar 3, 2008
North Main Street
I did right out of college to "help me get a job" and they fucked it up. It was full of miss spelled words and they wouldn't redo it because I had given them the info and they basically just reformatted it. They did zero proof reading and the format they used was probably the wrong one for the type of experience I had. Plus I didn't get a copy that I could then change I had to go back to them a pay a fee to update it.

I've helped several people over the years having hired my fair share of folks. I always suggest buying a cheap little program that gives you 6 or 7 templates and then put the info into it. It good to hit the meat of the jobs you did and make it relevant to the job you are applying for. It doesn't hurt to call and find out specifics of the job before you apply so you can make sure relevant info for that type of work is included. Then make sure you have a kick ass cover letter. I've even been known to do stupid shit to make sure I get noticed. I once sent a mannequin head in a box with my resume and a note that said "Just trying to stay "a head" of the competition." But that was for a marketing job so make sure dumb shit like that doesn't kill you either.

SittinGrumpy

I have my reasons for asking about resume writers and just wanted some opinions based on your experience.

I have been working for many years and have a resume. I know about templates and how to use them. I have had recruiters tell me not to use a template because it looks lazy, I have had recruiters tell me to use them because it is easier to update/modify. If you research you will find all kinds of people telling you all kinds of things about how much detail, bullets, no bullets...etc.

In today's job market, in my field, there seems to be 100+ applicants per every job, so I am considering a writer to help me make it pop. This is why I wanted some feed back, I have heard great things and I have heard some horrible things about writers. I have been heard it depends on what you pay, if it's local etc....

So my question really isn't about resumes and how to write one.... its about writers and so far its 1 to 1.

Absinthe

Staff member
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
I got my current job through a recruiter. My resume was pretty good but they changed the formatting a little bit.
Basically, when working with a recruiter, listen to what they suggest. They usually work closely with the company that is hiring and know what they are looking for.

funeeman

Spank Me!
Founder
Mar 3, 2008
North Main Street
I think most people are fucking retards for switching jobs, myself included. I know I chased the pot at the end of the rainbow. I always received a good raise usually close to 10 g more but in the end there was very little loyality built between me and the companies I worked for. They kind of viewed me as a high priced hired gun and as soon as I accomplished the goal I was hired they would look to cut me and hire someone for 1/2 price to try and maintain it. It was always known that upfront and that's why the length of stay and pay was always written in. If my contract was for 2 years and I accomplished it in 6 months and they cut me I got paid the other 18 months. I always hired people that were aggressive but that I knew were never going to be with the company for much longer than me. Most were highly emotional people I could focus but knew that if they were pissed or required to perform work they found less than desirable for any length of time they'd bolt. I'm still friends with most all of them and they've all hopped from company to company and are pretty much worse off because of it.

Had I not had the opportunity that I'm in now I'd probably be screwed. I've now learned its much better to pick a job, stick with it through good and bad and build up loyalty rather than a resume hop. Of course I have a very diverse back ground because of it that's helped me know but I also honestly believe I would have probably been almost exactly where I am now had I just stayed at that first job and kept my mouth shut 90% of the time, worked hard, made recommendations and not got my panties in a wad if I wasn't listened too, and towed the company line. I wouldn't have made the bank I did but I probably wouldn't have the debt I incurred from constantly moving.

People are pussy's now days and need to realize they will be better in the end if they're someplace 15-20 years rather than change every 5. I guess our folks were right.

Wenis

Hello Ladies.
Feb 18, 2009
People are pussy's now days and need to realize they will be better in the end if they're someplace 15-20 years rather than change every 5. I guess our folks were right.
I think the bigger pussies are those who don't speak up, and maintain a lower paid job in a place they don't like. Not everyone can work their way up into management.

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
I think the bigger pussies are those who don't speak up, and maintain a lower paid job in a place they don't like. Not everyone can work their way up into management.

^^ Silly ass capitalist pig dog ....

Must I remind you that :

From each according to his ability, to each according to his need ...

So you get back in line and do your part, fella.