Retail crisis

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/12/04/AR2008120404347.html?wpisrc=newsletter

Have you done your holiday shopping? Where? I can honestly say I haven't stepped foot into a shopping mall/store/whatever in aaages. The closest I've come lately is JoAnn Fabrics... sad. But true.

I've already gotten several gifts for family and friends off craigs. Much cheaper and they never have to know! hehe

In past years, I have heard so many refer to their xmases as "credit card christmases".

Personally, I'd rather do my cute little chocolates all over again than put my family in a bad spot just to save face with the Joneses.

*enter cranium* I hate poor people. Yes. Yes, I know ;-)

Titty

Proud White Boy
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Where the sun doesn't shine
I never go overboard (read- into debt) for Christmas. I also rarely step foot inside a store. If I can't find what I want to buy cheaper/easier (almost always can) online, I don't get it. It's equal parts frugality and aversion for people en masse.

Negativecool

Gold Member
Founder
May 30, 2008
Internet
A few semi-related ideas spring to mind:

1) If what I see in the news is to believed, then I still have yet to understood where people got the idea that using a credit card meant they didn't have to pay for it, at least for a while. Whenever I swipe the plastic I always consider that money gone---because, in reality, it fucking IS. Although being able to spend money you don't actually have responsibly is arguably the single greatest sign of fiscal competence, I still cannot grasp why most people are complete fuckups in this crucial area.
2) Thank christ I married a woman that hates giving and receiving gifts, for birthdays, christmas, and any other minor gift giving holidays. Go in debt because of christmas? In our house? Fucking impossible.
3) Walmart will be the only retailer that doesn't see a loss this christmas. I'm perfectly ok with this, and I'm ok with a lagging and depressed economy because jobs in healthcare aren't generally affected by it.
4) Rich in-laws that don't mind putting down for christmas rocks my god damn socks.

That is all, carry on.

Silly Cunt

Fingerbanger
Founder
Mar 30, 2008
Western Australia
2pm, 24 December. Head to nearest department store, buy random shit, sort it out later.

Xmas is lame, but I like getting presents from people that have put in the effort.