Ring around the rosey

Bunnee

*gigglesnorts*
Founder
Apr 25, 2008
Orstrayleeuh
Everyone has heard of this child game, yes?

I just heard the most interesting piece of information about it. Some one told me its about The Plague.

Can anyone here confirm or deny this?

Polar Bear

ppbbtt! -excuse me.
Founder
Mar 5, 2008
Can anyone other than PB can confirm this?
I admit to being a wise ass...but I'm serious now. It is a well known belief that the rhyme has to do with the Black Death.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_around_the_rosey

Many have associated the poem with the Great Plague of London in 1665, or with earlier outbreaks of bubonic plague in England. Interpreters of the rhyme before the second world war make no mention of this;[15] by 1951, however, it seems to have become well established as an explanation for the form of the rhyme that had become standard in Britain. Peter and Iona Opie remark[16]: ‘The invariable sneezing and falling down in modern English versions have given would-be origin finders the opportunity to say that the rhyme dates back to the Great Plague. A rosy rash, they allege, was a symptom of the plague, posies of herbs were carried as protection, sneezing was a final fatal symptom , and “all fall down” was exactly what happened.

Scarlet

Founder
Mar 3, 2008
Everyone has heard of this child game, yes?

I just heard the most interesting piece of information about it. Some one told me its about The Plague.

Can anyone here confirm or deny this?
As PolarBear has shown..it is true.

If you ever get a chance then read "Forever Amber" by Kathleen Windsor. It is the most amazing story of The Great Fire Of London and The Black Plague.

Shade

I fucking rule!
Mar 20, 2008
Nowhere
As PolarBear has shown..it is true.

If you ever get a chance then read "Forever Amber" by Kathleen Windsor. It is the most amazing story of The Great Fire Of London and The Black Plague.
Yay!!! I'm totally going to look that up. I knew if i hung around long enough intellect...inta....oh fuck my dyslexia...smart people conversation where you can learn stuff would return!!!! Unfortunantly i already knew about the ring around the rosey thing....God damn mom and her history teachernesss!!!!!

Polar Bear

ppbbtt! -excuse me.
Founder
Mar 5, 2008
Many of your more popular Nursery Rhymes were based around rather morbid subject matters. Especially for kids.

'My Fair Lady' and 'locked away' in the London Bridge is falling down song refers back to the practice of burying a dead virgin in the foundation of a bridge to ensure it's strength magically.

"Jack and Jill' is about Louis XVI and his queen Marie Antionette, who, when they were beheaded at the crux (or hilltop) of the French Revolution, 'Jack' broke his 'crown' and 'Jill' came 'tumbling after'.

And then there are ones that aren't even references, but instead, outright and obviously horrible. Like Rock-a-bye-baby, where the baby is perched precariously on a tree limb and then falls crashing through the limbs below.

Or 'There was an old lady who swallowed a fly' where the author matter-of-factly quips, "I guess she'll die."

And those are just a few random examples...theres a bunch more....Yeah, Nursery Rhymes are fucked up when you actually consider the words to them.

MoonChild69

douceur de vivre
Mar 31, 2008
NY
Many of your more popular Nursery Rhymes were based around rather morbid subject matters. Especially for kids.

'My Fair Lady' and 'locked away' in the London Bridge is falling down song refers back to the practice of burying a dead virgin in the foundation of a bridge to ensure it's strength magically.

"Jack and Jill' is about Louis XVI and his queen Marie Antionette, who, when they were beheaded at the crux (or hilltop) of the French Revolution, 'Jack' broke his 'crown' and 'Jill' came 'tumbling after'.

And then there are ones that aren't even references, but instead, outright and obviously horrible. Like Rock-a-bye-baby, where the baby is perched precariously on a tree limb and then falls crashing through the limbs below.

Or 'There was an old lady who swallowed a fly' where the author matter-of-factly quips, "I guess she'll die."

And those are just a few random examples...theres a bunch more....Yeah, Nursery Rhymes are fucked up when you actually consider the words to them.
Bravo!!! It's amazing how many people don't know about the old rhymes and their meanings.

Shade

I fucking rule!
Mar 20, 2008
Nowhere
jack and jill went up the hill each with a buck and a quarter....jill came down with 2.50 ohhhhh!