Shampooing the pooch

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Hong Kong, hiding from the Kommies!
We just got a new doggy. He's a 3 yr old PUG from some adoption center.

He stinks. I had no idea these little dogs stink so much, so, to excite you, moments from now, I will be getting in the shower with FUGU. His name in Japanese means porcupine fish, the one that people eat and die from if improperly cut.

Now, I won't be butt naked, because I shall be wearing undies, and this will save any perverted images people may have. Yes, my wet undies, in shower, with FUGU.

Question: How often is it OK to shower shampoo dogs?
Do you go to the pet salons for their hair cutting and shampoos?

He is a mean bastard. We have tried thrice to get him into a pet salon for a cut, but he growls at them and tells us to come back a few weeks later.
It's now a few weeks later and I don't know if he is ready for those people.

If not, what the hell am I going to do?
Summer is coming which means more hair all over the place if I don't get him his hair cut.

HELP!!

Can you not see the love coming from that face??

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
Fugu, the fat pug. Yes!

First of all.... I don't know that much about dogs. That said, I would suggest (check this against professional advice/someone who deals with dogs often, please):

-use gentle dog shampoo once in awhile - as little as possible. I can only imagine that you'd cause skin and coat problems by bathing him in soapy water too often.

-to help keep the body odor down, change his diet. add in more good fats - like fish oils. the dogs I had growing up always had shinier, softer, more beautiful coats and eyes when we fed them mostly fish and LOTS of fish oils/blubber.

-get him doing regular doggy exercise. I think the more you get the blood flowin and stuff moving, the less toxins (stink factories) you'll have just sitting around, not getting processed out.

-keep his water bowl full of clean water. the more water he drinks, the less he'll stink... and who wants to drink hairy water with floaties in it :(

(again, these are just Josie's ideas)

SittinGrumpy

We have bathed our dogs once a week at times, I have never heard of bathing them too much.

We do all our own grooming, mostly because we have had up to 7 dogs at once. IF this is not somehting you feel comformtable with then I would say yes use a groomer. We have to muzzle a couple of ours to cut their nails...can a pug be muzzled?

The types of dogs we have do not require hair cuts and still the summers are hell at first. We try to brush them a lot, this allows us to control the hair coming off to an extent but a dog sheds and there is no way to stop all of it.

A 3 yr old pug from the pound is going to have issues with being soicalized, I would suggest talking to a vet about how to go about getting her use to people and other dogs. Again, we use muzzles for some of ours when they need to be around people they dont know and when we groom.

Hope this helps or gives you some ideas.

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Hong Kong, hiding from the Kommies!
Fugu, the fat pug. Yes!
Good post. Thanks for your reply.

Yes, he's a fatty and on top of that, lazy.

-use gentle dog shampoo once in awhile - as little as possible. I can only imagine that you'd cause skin and coat problems by bathing him in soapy water too often.
He's got some good stuff. I use Tree Tea Oil shampoo for him.
He seems to like the shampooing and does not fuss about too much.

-to help keep the body odor down, change his diet. add in more good fats - like fish oils. the dogs I had growing up always had shinier, softer, more beautiful coats and eyes when we fed them mostly fish and LOTS of fish oils/blubber.
He has a very good quality dry food blend and we mix in either fresh Mango, Banana, Papaya and occasionally boiled veggies like carrots and broccoli.

He gets fed twice a day, on schedule.

-get him doing regular doggy exercise. I think the more you get the blood flowin and stuff moving, the less toxins (stink factories) you'll have just sitting around, not getting processed out.
I have a feeling that the previous owner was some old Chinese lady who let him get his way all the time.

He gets excited enough before the walk, but once out there, he'll lay flat on his stomach and not want to budge.

I think this owner fed him too many snacks, too many times a day, no walks.

-keep his water bowl full of clean water. the more water he drinks, the less he'll stink... and who wants to drink hairy water with floaties in it :(
We do exactly that, changing the water daily.

(again, these are just Josie's ideas)
Thanks once again for the input.

We have bathed our dogs once a week at times, I have never heard of bathing them too much.
OK, I wasn't sure. I heard someplace that once every two weeks is good.
Also heard that bathing too much is not good for their skin.

We do all our own grooming, mostly because we have had up to 7 dogs at once. IF this is not somehting you feel comformtable with then I would say yes use a groomer. We have to muzzle a couple of ours to cut their nails
I may just have to do that as well. He is a growler at times.
The shower pacifies him and he is under control, but when not in the shower, he like to be bossy.

...can a pug be muzzled?
Unfortunately, no.

A 3 yr old pug from the pound is going to have issues with being soicalized

Actually, we are having an ALPHA situation. At first, he was bossy, getting his way with growls. He bit me once and my wife once as well.

We are working with him and retraining him.
He favors females more ( who wouldn't!!) so I do have to show him who is the boss.

We will have a pro trainer come by for 3 Saturdays to help out a bit.
Wife bought his book and he has good stuff in it, like always walk the dog even with the master, and not the dog out in front.

Seems natural for the dog to be out front, but I will continue with him walking even with me for training purposes, until we get the 'Who is Master" thing settled.

Like I said up above, the previous owner must have spoiled him rotten.

Hope this helps or gives you some ideas.
Most helpful indeed. Thanks for your input!