Snake!

Mamba

Uranium
Founder
May 22, 2008
Argh. I just found a small dark grey snake in the kitten basket in my laundry room.
I don't know what species it is, and I'm afraid it could be a viper or something.

But what if it's a harmless grass snake? It doesn't appear to have any distinguishing markings - but I haven't got close enough to check! Plus it's lying face down, so can't see it's belly.

What if it's a viper without any markings?

Argh.

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
Also .. almost all dangerous snakes have the markings on the top side of the body, most animals with markings generally have them situated so that OTHERS can see them.

Mamba

Uranium
Founder
May 22, 2008
Hmmmm... if that's true then what about this?

That is a viper!!!

Mamba

Uranium
Founder
May 22, 2008
There is also blood in the basket. I don't know if it came from the snake or the kittens, or the mother. The kittens seem fine though... I wonder if the mother went out a bought it back with her.???

Mamba

Uranium
Founder
May 22, 2008
I can't tell from your pic .. I'd say you should poke it and if it bites you and then you die we can be reasonable sure it was poisonous.
Genius advice. Why didn't I think of that?

Mamba

Uranium
Founder
May 22, 2008
Haha. My boyfriend is back now. I'll get him to deal with it.

Mamba

Uranium
Founder
May 22, 2008
I'm not familiar with Spain's killer snake population. I suggest you do a web comparison or better yet don't fuck with it past throwing it into a neighbor's yard.
I did do a web comparison and couldn't find anything similar except the picture that I posted which is a vibora de seone. Apparently there are 13 different snakes in Spain, of which only 5 are venomous (3 deadly)

Mamba

Uranium
Founder
May 22, 2008
So... what the hell WAS it?!?
Still not sure. Upon closer inspection, it was crushed in the middle, looks like the mother took a bite out of it - probably defending the kittens. There's a big smudge of blood on the floor behind the door that is definitely the snakes. Mother and kitties are completely unharmed.

We (he) got rid of it. :)

Mamba

Uranium
Founder
May 22, 2008
Oh and it was more like olive green than grey. Hey, it was dark in there! (bulb gone)

The only snake that I found that was olive green was the grass snake, and the ADULT culebra bastarda. (Montpellier snake)

But it wasn't that fat, so maybe it was a baby?

Mamba

Uranium
Founder
May 22, 2008

It's definitely this one. The under side was yellow/white.

The Montpellier Snake ( Malpolon monspessulanus Culebra bastarda) is the largest snake in Iberia (up to 2m) and probably the commonest snake in the Mediterranean region and in Spain. This snake is a generalist, feeding particularly on lizards but also small mammals, birds and even small rabbits.

Explains why it was after the kitties.