Sorting emails

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
So, I've decided to finally categorize all my emails so I don't have to dredge through years worth of stuff every time I need to pull something back out...

And whoa! I have found so much! I really don't use any other camera except for the cameras on the phones I've had and I send all the pics to my email, so I found a treasure trove of "lost" pics and such... but most importantly... I stumbled on

Pop N Drop!!!

:yociexp77:

Just thought I'd share that. Back on topic: Has anyone ever done this before? Is there an easier, faster way than slowly sorting through everything chronologically?

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
Oh wow. Nevermind. I managed to finish sorting it all into folders and now just need to sort through the individual emails in each folder.

mcsmc

Yaa!
Apr 4, 2008
Yes, there's a faster way. I categorize via sender and subject. Gmail has a labeling system that works better than folders, I think. Every major email service has a search function, which you can do a search by sender (or subject) and categorize (label or sort into folder). Also, if you have the amount of emails stored that I do (thousands), it might be easier to sort them in dated chunks (Jan-Jun 2006, Jul-Dec 2006, Jan-Jun 2007, etc.) and go through each chunk at different times, so you don't get overwhelmed. Of course, I haven't really got my emails completely sorted anyway. If there's something I need to find, I just use the search function.

Back to Gmail for a minute... like I said, I've found the labeling system to be massively easier than organizing into folders (i.e. Yahoo and Windows Live email services). It DOES take some getting used to, but it's a good change in the end. Also, if you have Yahoo email, you can setup a Gmail account and buy Yahoo Plus email so you can import all of your emails from Yahoo to Gmail. I did that, and it actually hardly costs anything, because after all of your emails are transferred, you can cancel the Yahoo Plus, and they refund you for the time you didn't use. I bought the service, kept it about a week, and then canceled it. I think it was $10 or $20 for a year... so I only paid a small fraction of that.

Actually, the main reason I switched from Yahoo to Gmail was because of the massive amounts of spam I was getting in Yahoo. I figured out that labeling is easier just from switching over. :p

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
Yes, there's a faster way. I categorize via sender and subject. Gmail has a labeling system that works better than folders, I think. Every major email service has a search function, which you can do a search by sender (or subject) and categorize (label or sort into folder). Also, if you have the amount of emails stored that I do (thousands), it might be easier to sort them in dated chunks (Jan-Jun 2006, Jul-Dec 2006, Jan-Jun 2007, etc.) and go through each chunk at different times, so you don't get overwhelmed. Of course, I haven't really got my emails completely sorted anyway. If there's something I need to find, I just use the search function.

Back to Gmail for a minute... like I said, I've found the labeling system to be massively easier than organizing into folders (i.e. Yahoo and Windows Live email services). It DOES take some getting used to, but it's a good change in the end. Also, if you have Yahoo email, you can setup a Gmail account and buy Yahoo Plus email so you can import all of your emails from Yahoo to Gmail. I did that, and it actually hardly costs anything, because after all of your emails are transferred, you can cancel the Yahoo Plus, and they refund you for the time you didn't use. I bought the service, kept it about a week, and then canceled it. I think it was $10 or $20 for a year... so I only paid a small fraction of that.

Actually, the main reason I switched from Yahoo to Gmail was because of the massive amounts of spam I was getting in Yahoo. I figured out that labeling is easier just from switching over. :p
Thanks! I may do this. I have a gmail account, but as you said, it takes some getting used to.

Scarlet

Founder
Mar 3, 2008
I have had 3 emails this year so I just sort them into a folder for the month they arrive in.