Sports 'n such.

s_strike

Yaa!
Founder
May 14, 2011
I know a lot of you don't care to talk about sports up in this place, but I'd bet you each have a favorite team you occasionally check in on. List your favorites on here or talk about anything sport related.

That said, I like hockey and NFL football with the LA Kings and Oakland Raiders topping my list.

Now I read that hockey thug Donald Brashear is going to be an MMA fighter?!

"Brashear was involved in a serious brawl on ice where he continued to hammer a defenseless downed player earning a five game suspension. After the altercation, he allegedly attacked a fan in the parking lot, and charges are pending at this time. Brashear turned 39 in January. Vincent reports that he has yet to apply to e commission for a license, and his most recent on-ice escapade may prevent him from obtaining one." -C/P

^This is the dolt that the whole world seemed to love when former LA King/Boston player Marty Mcsorley hit him upside the head with his stick that sent old Donny flopping on the ice. Sure what Marty did was unfortunate but I never felt sorry for that ape, as he was much dirtier (and not nearly the player) at his role than Mcsorley ever was.

[video=youtube;DnP18StCoHA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnP18StCoHA[/video](shitty quality but didn't want the 5min version)

Good on ya Marty..twas one for the ages.

So if Donald does fight MMA on June 4 against a relatively (?) unknown heavyweight, I hope the ? kicks the shit out of him.

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
I've never been into any sport as a spectator. I do not follow any college or pro sport.

For awhile while I was teaching combatives for the Army I followed the MMA and K-1 circuit. But now I've given that up as well, although I do stop to read the articles as they flash across my news reader if I see a name I recognize.

I spend less than 5 minutes a week on sports info of any type, I'd estimate.

s_strike

Yaa!
Founder
May 14, 2011
Man, not even a baseball score? Like to check if upside your head won or not. I also play a free game on some betting site (don't gamble though, unless I'm in Vegas) that pays a hundred grand (yes 100) if you can hit 22 wins in a row. <---was 20 but after a couple people hit it, it moved up one and so on. It's a free game so why not? 11 is my best run, so it's possible...@ 8 right now.

SlimSkeeter

Don't even get me started on pro sports.... These crybabies get paid millions to play a game then whine some more when they stub their toe and they sit on the sidelines. I'd love to be a damn benchwarmer for any pro team. Sit on my ass and make $100,000 a year.

Yeah, I get it...that's their livelyhood. If they get too hurt they won't play anymore.

Big fucking deal...if I get hurt too bad, I won't be able to work anymore either. Do you see me getting paid 6 and 7 digits a year? No.

And most of these guys are too fucking stupid to do anything else with their lives so why the hell should they get paid so damn much? They are NOT the cream of the crop nor are they outstanding citizens.

s_strike

Yaa!
Founder
May 14, 2011
Yup, I hear you guys on the money side of things, yet for me it's a good break from the usual gayness known as sitcoms and game shows.

Stickman

Dude!
May 18, 2008
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Like most Australian's a I'm touch sports mad. I'll follow pretty much anything. But growing up in country Queensland has made me a Rugby League fan. I went to State of Origin last week. Came home barely able to speak due to abuse levelled at New South Wales. Otherwise I watch a bit of Australian Football but not much. Really only care about Rugby once the World Cup comes around. Been watching a bit of the NBA playoffs and watched the post season of the NFL earlier this year. Fuck if it's on I'll even watch the tennis. Nothing like a few beers and some sport on in the background.

proper stranger

Yaa!
Founder
Apr 23, 2011
I agree with the money thing. No one should get that much cash for playing a game.
Now that I have made my stand on that clear, I gotta tell ya that I love football. American football.
My favorite pro team is the Minn. Vikings.
My favorite college team would be the Badgers.

Baseball is o.k. But only if it is a Cubs game.

s_strike

Yaa!
Founder
May 14, 2011
Fearsome foursome FTW. ^^ Used to go to the Rams and Raider games, up until they both left in 1994. Can't leave out Lamar Lundy and Deacon Jones.

Any Atlanta people in here? No more hockey for you as the NHL announced today they are moving the Thrashers franchise to Winnipeg, Canada.

Firestorm

n00b
Founder
May 7, 2008
Somewhere
Haven't really paid attention to sports, especially baseball since the strike and football since the Cowboys went from good to suck, haha. Every once in a while I'll read the sports page for shits and giggles, but follow any team or sport? Nope. Would rather watch grass grow and paint dry.

Gravy

Trunk Monkey
Jul 1, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I'll watch and enjoy pretty much any sport except for AFL.

My entire British side of the family are Mancunians, so I'm a United supporter in the EPL. Also enjoy watching La Liga, Eredivisie and Bundesliga.
Most of my Aussie side of the family are Queenslanders (with the other few being Victorian), so I'm a Queensland supporter in the State of Origin series.
I live in the Roosters/Souths area, but I am a Wests Tigers supporter in the NRL (before that was a Magpies supporter before they merged teams as they were the closest team to me geographically).
My friends from Washington state have made me a Seahawks supporter (by proxy) in the NFL, even though I can't even name a single player on the team.
Brumbies supporter in the Super-15 rugby. Even if they suck.
Don't have a team in the NBA or NBL.
Big fan of the horse racing scene, albeit only for the ladies, gambling and the drinking.

I don't really get time to watch much sport these days with the exception of the big games. I do keep regular track of my favourite teams, though, and also take part in tipping competitions for a few of them at both of my workplaces.

s_strike

Yaa!
Founder
May 14, 2011
Stanley Cup

Starts today...

Boston vs. Vancouver

Canada hasn't had the cup in their country since 1993.

Go Bruins.

proper stranger

Yaa!
Founder
Apr 23, 2011
Anybody remember the L.A. Rams with Roman Gabriel, Jack Youngblood, Rosey Grier, Merlin Olsen, Pat Haden and Vince Ferragamo?
Hell yeah! The Vikings used to meet up with the Rams in the playoffs alot back then.
The Fearsome Foursome Vs The Purple People Eaters....Alan Page..Carl Eller..Jim Marshall..Gary Larson..