Spreading Rep around

Polar Bear

ppbbtt! -excuse me.
Founder
Mar 5, 2008
Disclaimer: I'm not giving out free Rep points in this thread, so fuck off Kommie. Furthermore, this is not an attempt to get Cranium to change anything on my account. I'm just bored and this seems like an interesting topic for debate.

That being said, do you feel the reputation system benefits or suffers because of the "Spreading" clause?

(For anyone who isn't aware, the "Spreading" clause is a stipulation that makes it impossible to give reputation to the same member over and over again. In technical terms, when you rep someone, you must then give rep to 5 other members before the system will allow you to rep that first person again)

I don't like it, personally. I understand that without it, some people might be tempted to abuse the system in order to improve their reps. However, in curbing this minority, it makes it so that EVERYBODY must give away reps they wouldn't normally give to people, while simultaneously making it impossible to give rep to someone who most likely deserves it.

Perhaps on a forum with much more traffic and posts, you can get away with something like a 5-member spread rule, but honestly....it's not my fault the same 3-4 members of this site make me laugh the most. Taking away my ability to rep someone who deserves it just makes me not even want to use the thing.

Closing statement: The "Spread" rule doesn't keep people from abusing the rep system, it only forces them to abuse it in a different way. Why not leave that rule out and let people govern ther own rep-giving behavior. At least that way some people will be using the system correctly.

Thoughts?

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
The default rep is 20 before the same dude twice.

I thought that was too many especially for a forum with so few regular posters and I set it to a single digit #.

BTW its been set at 2 for awhile now ...

Also ..

I never had any real plan for rep power ..so I never put much thought in the rep system.

Polar Bear

ppbbtt! -excuse me.
Founder
Mar 5, 2008
The default rep is 20 before the same dude twice.

I thought that was too many especially for a forum with so few regular posters and I set it to a single digit #.
BTW its been set at 2 for awhile now ...
Also ..

I never had any real plan for rep power ..so I never put much thought in the rep system.
I remember you stating back at FY something about how when you take over there, the first thing you were going to do was disable rep. So when I discovered them here, I considered it a blessing. You turned out to be more considerate than you let on. (Gimmie a hug, tough guy)

Wow @ 20. That's just stupid.

Ah, I thought it was still 5. Pardon the mistake. Having it set at 2 is far more acceptable, though this thread is more about whether you're a fan of having the Spreading function at all or not, and why.

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
though this thread is more about whether you're a fan of having the Spreading function at all or not, and why.

I am able to set up how a user gains rank.

1. Post count.

2. Length of time as member.

3. Reputation.

4. Crazy combo of 1/2/3 ..

^############^

So, if I had the Rep tied in with promotions then I would be more apt to monitor any schemes members may have to artificially bump rep points.

As if is now I don't even pay attention to it one way or the other.

BUT ... I do see its usefulness as a way to keep the retards from spewing stuff all the time ..

Example: I announce that rep is tied into the promotion system. People start posting in a more intelligent manner .. other people take more time to read and respond and rate threads and give and receive rep points ...

But we have a troll .. he hates everyone and constantly gives neg rep to people he hates and pos rep to his buddies.

Its a sticky wicket ..

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
Poop. I made a reply. It was all sarcastic and stuff about how I was going to neg into oblivion for fun.

But then it farted and kept loading a blank page. Hrmph.

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
Poop. I made a reply. It was all sarcastic and stuff about how I was going to neg into oblivion for fun.

But then it farted and kept loading a blank page. Hrmph.

As stated; Negative / Positive rep are little more than a different color status and a cute rep title.

I'll look into doing something with the system after I upgrade.