Step-father cleared of rape, citing "Sexsomnia"

Mamba

Uranium
Founder
May 22, 2008
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2013099/Kirsty-Merrimans-step-father-Stephen-Lee-Davies-cleared-raping-sexsomnia.html

A girl whose stepfather was cleared of raping her after a jury accepted he suffered from 'sexsomnia' says she now suffers nightmares she fears will never go away.

Kirsty Merriman was just 16 years old when her mother's partner, Stephen Lee Davies, had sex with her against her will.

Davies said he could not remember having intercourse with the teenager - despite speaking to her at the time, and then leaving his bedroom to make a hot drink afterwards.

Earlier this week, Davies, 43, flicked a V-sign to reporters outside Swansea Crown Court when was acquitted after a jury accepted he was asleep at the time of the attack and no idea what he was doing.

Kirsty, who is now 17 and has a young baby with her boyfriend, was so horrified with the outcome of the trial that she has waived her right to anonymity to speak out about the case.

'I've been to hell and back and I'm still having nightmares and suffering from depression,' she told the Sunday Mirror.

'I don't understand how a court cannot say I was raped when someone had sex with me against my will.'

Kirsty was 12 when her mother Caroline began a relationship with Davies. After a year they moved into his house in Pembroke Dock, south Wales, along with Kirsty's two younger sisters.

She told the Sunday Mirror that her stepfather's obssession with tidiness soon made her feel uncomfortable in his home.

The children were not allowed into Davies's front room, she said. Nor were they allowed to leave their toys lying around - despite arguments between her mother and Davies.

Caroline, who is divorced from Kirsty's father, remembers how Davies would not allow the girls to have friends or boyfriends over to stay and would even check Kirsty's computer messages.

It was a month after the teenager's 16th birthday when she fell ill during the night and her mother put her to bed in Davies's bedroom wrapped in a dressing gown and blanket.

Her mother told how she put the girl into her and Davies's bed because it was cooler.

Kirsty said she woke up to find Davies putting his hands up her pyjama top, with no idea how her dressing gown or blanket had been removed.

Davies began having sex with her. She tried to pull away, she said, but he turned her on her side and continued.

The teenager was left sobbing by the ordeal, while Davies went to the toilet and made himself a couple of tea.

But after his arrest he said he still didn’t know if he had had intercourse with her.

Kirsty did not immediately tell anyone of her ordeal. 'It was killing me inside but I thought I've just got to live with this for the rest of my life,' she told the Sunday Mirror.

But she soon broke down and told her father and grandmother, who immediately called the police.

At Davies's trial sleep expert Dr Chris Idzikowski, director of the Edinburgh Sleep Centre and founder of the British Sleep Society, told the court Davies showed all the signs of suffering from sexsomnia.

Dr Idzikowski said sexsomnia fell into the category of sleepwalking, which affected about four per cent of adults.

Sexsomnia affected far fewer people, he said, but partly because they were less likely to go to their doctor and complain.

He told the court: 'A lot of people don’t report sexsomnia but we are recognising it more and more.

'It affects mainly men who are deep sleepers. It can involve almost any sort of sexual activity and could go on for twenty or thirty minutes.

'It is extremely unlikely they will have any memory because amnesia is associated with the condition. Less than one per cent might remember something. It tends to affect middle-aged and older men.

'Sexsomnia is instinctive behaviour, they are not conscious at the time.'

Dr Idzikowski said he had studied all the evidence in the case and listened to witnesses and concluded that Davies suffered from the condition.

Jim Davis, prosecuting, had previously told the jury that Davies was not suffering an episode of sexsomnia at the time because he called the teenager a 'horny bitch' and even spoke her name.

Nor did it fit 'sexsomnia' that after intercourse had taken place he had gone downstairs, boiled a kettle and returned to bed and groped her again.

Davies, who said he always slept naked, said he was a deep sleeper and that his partners would confirm that sometimes they would have to tell him what he had done during the night.

His case was also aided by the testimony of his previous sexual partners who said he would grope them during the night and have no memory of what happened the following day.

His ex-wife Angela Davies said the couple used to joke that she must be a ‘pretty rubbish’ lover because the next morning he could not even remember making love to her.

After the not guilty verdict, which was unanimous and returned within an hour, applause broke out from the public gallery.

But it will take longer for Kirsty to recover from her experience. She said: 'My body felt violated and I had nightmares which will never go away.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2013099/Kirsty-Merrimans-step-father-Stephen-Lee-Davies-cleared-raping-sexsomnia.html#ixzz1RjbMBcpF

-------

UM........WTF.

This is just wrong, wrong, wrong.

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
Ew.. what disturbs me even more is that the dudes here are probably jealous of this guy. Men are such pigs... *sigh*

SlimSkeeter

^^ He has a point.
what disturbs me even more is that the dudes here are probably jealous of this guy. Men are such pig
No, and I pretty much take offense to that suggestion.

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
Defensive when *I* bring it up, but y'all are happy to blather on about underage girls and fuckin em silly... in the *chatbox*

yep.

gotcha.

Wenis

Hello Ladies.
Feb 18, 2009
If this rape was caused by his so called sexomania then even though it is unfortunate for the girl, the man was unconscious and it wouldn't be fair to charge him.

It could be seen as the equivalent a man without the disorder dreaming of raping the girl.

Also the girl is 17 and already has a kid so she's doesn't sound like an innocent little teen... whether she was a lil slag or not may or may not have some bearing.

Syenite

Flying squirrel vagina
Founder
Oct 23, 2013
Redneckville, Canada.
... I don't think that his previous girlfriends testimony is really that credible.

"You wouldn't stop groping me last night! I didn't get any sleep!"

"Oh... I was... sleep-groping."

Even if he really does sleep-sex-walk... people can't just go around sleep-raping.

Mamba

Uranium
Founder
May 22, 2008
If this rape was caused by his so called sexomania then even though it is unfortunate for the girl, the man was unconscious and it wouldn't be fair to charge him.

It could be seen as the equivalent a man without the disorder dreaming of raping the girl.
Ummmmmmmmm... what were they doing in bed together in the first place - was my first question. It was cooler? I mean... that doesnt even make sense to me. A grown man in bed with a teenage girl? Yup, sounds innocent to me......

Also:

Jim Davis, prosecuting, had previously told the jury that Davies was not suffering an episode of sexsomnia at the time because he called the teenager a 'horny bitch' and even spoke her name.

Nor did it fit 'sexsomnia' that after intercourse had taken place he had gone downstairs, boiled a kettle and returned to bed and groped her again.
So? Verdict is?

Mamba

Uranium
Founder
May 22, 2008
Also - if you had a known history of doing that shit... would you really put yourself in a situation where it could happen with a teenage girl?

Perfect excuse?

SlimSkeeter

Yeah...he's a sick fuck who had a group of mentally handicapped people for a jury of his peers.

Mamba

Uranium
Founder
May 22, 2008
Plus (yes another plus)

What does the mother have to say about all of this? Notice she told her "father and grandmother"

Tsk*

Sorry state of affairs.