Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
'Angry Neighbors With Paintball Guns' amazed at reaction

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/5814998/

Posted: Today at 7:58 a.m.

Durham, N.C. — A group of Durham residents taking aim at speeders with the threat of a paintball gun said Tuesday that they are "amazed and gratified at the reaction."

The group, Angry Neighbors With Paintball Guns, posted signs at strategic locations throughout the city, warning motorists to slow down or risk being shot at with a paintball gun.
The group does not say if the signs are meant to serve only as an attention-grabber or if it plans to shoot paintballs at vehicles.
"We received top story coverage on local television news, more than half a dozen requests for interviews from local media outlets, and generated hundreds of comments on blogs, media websites, and Facebook," according to an e-mail from a group member, who declined to release his or her name. "We received numerous requests from individuals who wish to receive their own copies of our sign. We inspired the creation of a Facebook group. We clearly touched a nerve in the city of Durham."

The group says it is disappointed that the city has stopped funding its PACE Car program, which was designed to help prevent speeding. Kammie Michael, a Durham police spokeswoman, said budget and staffing constraints forced the dissolution of the program.
"It is very disheartening to read that the city has neither the time nor the money to continue this program. Over 1,500 citizens signed up to participate in the 18 months the program was operational. Bring it back. Tell us how much money you need. We'll raise it," the group member wrote in Tuesday's e-mail.
The department has increased patrols in the area recently, Michael said and residents have complimented the police department on its response.

"The Durham Police Department enforces traffic laws, and we plan to continue to be responsive to traffic concerns from residents throughout the city," she said.

Michael said it is a crime to shoot a paintball at a vehicle and that the signs could be a distraction for some drivers and make the problem worse.

Some residents who live near the intersection of Markham and Glendale avenues, where a sign was posted Monday morning, said they like the signs because it brings attention to the speeding problem.

"I think it's a very good sign, and it shows there is some initiative in our neighborhood," resident Angelo Abbate said.

"I thought it was good fun," resident Rusty Haynes said. "I'm not sure anybody will actually get plugged with a paint pellet, but we'll see."

##############################################

Hell yes, I'm all for a neighborhood reclaiming their rights.

The Police, mostly due to manpower shortage, REFUSE to enforce basic public safety laws such as using turn signals, stopping at stop signs and speed limits in residential areas etc..etc...

The police statement of "We enforce the law" is bullshit since clearly they are reactive and not proactive in most road laws.

Community with back up from local police is the best for controlling issues in their areas NOT police power alone.

Crack heads move in because NO ONE cares. Crack houses are rarely IF EVER found in affluent neighborhoods where people look at their neighbor on a regular basis. In poor, welfare section 8 housing areas we ALSO find high crime because no one fucking cares about their neighbor.

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
I wanna see some paintballs flyin. The ultimate mark of shame. Speedy McBrat, highschool bully, shows up to school in Daddy's sportscar - pink splat on the side. And so on.

4nik8

Herban Legend
Founder
Mar 5, 2008
Hick-ville
I wouldn't be surprised if the people are forced to take the signs down due to "distraction".

I've seen in other places where crosses (signaling the loss of a loved one) were forced to be removed for the same reasons.

If that's the case though, what about all the highway "distractions"?

I seriously hope one of those neighbors is a drunk and while shooting speeders, tags a cop. That would be hilarious.

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
I wouldn't be surprised if the people are forced to take the signs down due to "distraction".

I've seen in other places where crosses (signaling the loss of a loved one) were forced to be removed for the same reasons.

If that's the case though, what about all the highway "distractions"?

I seriously hope one of those neighbors is a drunk and while shooting speeders, tags a cop. That would be hilarious.

Yeah, I see problems with it as well.

Mainly because every neighborhood seems to have been infiltrated by thugs with REAL guns.

I think the pace car program is a good idea and it sucks that it was dropped.

4nik8

Herban Legend
Founder
Mar 5, 2008
Hick-ville
Yeah, I see problems with it as well.

Mainly because every neighborhood seems to have been infiltrated by thugs with REAL guns.

I thing the pace car program is a good idea and it sucks that it was dropped.
I hadn't even thought of that aspect. Dodging live rounds might put a damper on paint balling speeders.

Haven't looked into what the pace car program was. From the sound of it, the neighbors like it though. Even willing to foot the bill themselves.

But, with the economy the way it is, lots of services are being cut back on.
Heard on the news about this happening with garbage pickups. (Not to be confused with the beater, redneck trucks)
But, just give Obama A CHANCE. He'll tax us back into prosperity.

bahumbas

Dude!
Aug 29, 2009
Personally I think it is dangerous and ought not to be tried. Using paint ball guns to shot at speeding cars might cause accidents. It is dangerous and other measures can be taken by the neighbourhood such as putting tollbooths up and such.

SlimSkeeter

Personally I think it is dangerous and ought not to be tried. Using paint ball guns to shot at speeding cars might cause accidents. It is dangerous and other measures can be taken by the neighbourhood such as putting tollbooths up and such.
I'd like to see the neighborhood that gets away with just slapping up a tollbooth. The problem already being that the city, in the form of the police and indeed any funding, won't do anything about the speeders.

bahumbas

Dude!
Aug 29, 2009
toll booths means more cash for the city
speeders get a ticket
gives some dead beat a job
what's not to like?

InterStella

Shit Mum.... Yay!
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Rule Britannia!
Speed bumps. Lots of them around this neck of the woods, and yes - they're a pain in the fucking arse when you're in a hurry - but Jesus, Mary and Joseph... they sure slowed the bad boys down.

Not been a hit-and-run here in a couple of years now. And having your car stolen is becoming much less of a worry. Because they simply can't get away fast enough!

Negativecool

Gold Member
Founder
May 30, 2008
Internet
toll booths means more cash for the city
speeders get a ticket
gives some dead beat a job
what's not to like?
Was this your attempt at a Haiku, or do you not understand what a sentence looks like?

On topic:
Paintballing speeding cars, a good idea in the smokey basement of a friends house in a beer filled stupor where this plan of action was no doubt born, is a stupid god damn idea in reality.

Paintballs can damage cars. I've seen this, and drunkenly done this in college. Now that I am out of college and sober enough to respect other people's property, I don't see how a group of mature sober adults can possibly think this is a good idea.

Fuck it, just throw some spike strips down and call it a day.

jeepneasy

Dude!
Jul 14, 2009
Central, CA
^^^^^

Exactly... whether the neighbors are in the right or wrong, if my car gets hit my a paintball; the fucker that shot it better be out of range of my 45. Or at least be a hell of a lot bigger than me

SlimSkeeter

^^^^^

Exactly... whether the neighbors are in the right or wrong, if my car gets hit my a paintball; the fucker that shot it better be out of range of my 45. Or at least be a hell of a lot bigger than me
.45=equalizer. Doesn't matter how big he is, the bullet will drop him to -6ft

Blood

Crimson Kunoichi
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
I don't really think the folks intended to skulk around all day with paintball guns and shoot at speeding cars.
All they had to do was threaten that they were so folks would cut it out and it seems to have worked.

I'm sure if anyone actually damaged a car by shooting it up with paint balls then this story would have gotten loads more interesting.

Gravy

Trunk Monkey
Jul 1, 2008
Sydney, Australia
There's nothing wrong with speeding. If someone shot at one of my cars with a paintball gun I'd crash into the nearest tree and sue them for all they are worth and then some!

TopGrey

Family
Founder
Jul 30, 2008
NC mountains
I believer proper education of how wrong it is to shoot others cars with paintballs is best done with an example of what a .45 does to the paintballers car....

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
There's nothing wrong with speeding. If someone shot at one of my cars with a paintball gun I'd crash into the nearest tree and sue them for all they are worth and then some!
I don't have any kids ( @ home).

But every time I see some fuckface drive by a group of kids at twice the posted limit on a KNOWN school time makes me damn near postal.

I take my ATT van and drive 10 under the limit in the subdivisions .. on purpose, because fuckers think its ok to do 50 in a 30.

Well, I do 20 in a 30.

I'm so cool.

NiBBler

boop!
Dec 10, 2008
NC
I don't have any kids ( @ home).

But every time I see some fuckface drive by a group of kids at twice the posted limit on a KNOWN school time makes me damn near postal.

I take my ATT van and drive 10 under the limit in the subdivisions .. on purpose, because fuckers think its ok to do 50 in a 30.

Well, I do 20 in a 30.

I'm so cool.
:78: Good job!