The end of Guantanamo Bay

NiBBler

boop!
Dec 10, 2008
NC
Obama is closing all “war on terror” prisons. I heard a rumor in the office today that he is bringing some of these prisoners to the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">US</st1:place></st1:country-region> to be held in <st1:placeType w:st="on">Fort</st1:placeType> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Bragg,</st1:placeName> <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">North Carolina</st1:place></st1:State> until they can be tried by US courts. Can someone please tell me what the hell this man is thinking?

Also, I tried googling for more information but I did not find any confirmation on the North Carolina deal. Does anyone have any information confirming this or not?

I just want to say for the record that I think that releasing terrorist prisoners into any county around the world at will is an incredibly stupid decision. I can’t wait to see what else Obama has in store for us.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

funeeman

Spank Me!
Founder
Mar 3, 2008
North Main Street
I belive this was a big issue for McCain as well. I think it would have been done to some degree regardless. And yes its my understanding that "high" risk prisoners will be moved and held at other locations. There was a story last weekend on CNN talking about the release of these folk and it stated that like 52 (could have been 62) like 10% of those released go back to the front lines in the terrorist front. One even got credit for planning at attack on an embassy last month. The problem isn't the release but the tracking of those folks after the release. Many countries don't have the capabilities or don't really care. At least that is until they get attacked themselves.

I say we inject them with GPS chips and then blow them mother fuckers up anytime there are more than two of them in the same place.

Lethal_Lefty

[P]resident
Jan 12, 2009
So...

They can has execution now?

No?...OK..jus' hopin' is all.
DING! DING! DING! We have a winner.

Just put a bullet in each one of those mother fuckers and throw them to the sharks.

Why ship them stateside and let them further occupy our already over-stretched, under-funded penal system?

Yeah, I said penal system, laugh it up.

NiBBler

boop!
Dec 10, 2008
NC
Closing does not mean .. closing.

Read the fine print.
I did. Explain where it does not mean closing. I understand that it does not mean haphazard release of prisoners.

The summaries of the executive orders, as provided by the White House, are below:
Executive Order regarding Guantanamo Bay detainees

Executive Order requires closure of the Guantanamo detention center no later than one year from the date of the Order. Closure of the facility is the ultimate goal but not the first step. The Order establishes a review process with the goal of disposing of the detainees before closing the facility.

The Order sets up an immediate review to determine whether it is possible to transfer detainees to third countries, consistent with national security. If transfer is not approved, a second review will determine whether prosecution is possible and in what forum. The preference is for prosecution in Article III courts or under the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ), but military commissions, perhaps with revised authorities, would remain an option. If there are detainees who cannot be transferred or prosecuted, the review will examine the lawful options for dealing with them. The Attorney General will coordinate the review and the Secretaries of Defense, State, and Homeland Security as well as the DNI and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff will participate.

The Executive Order directs the Secretary of State to seek international cooperation aimed at achieving the transfers of detainees.

The Order directs the Secretary of Defense to halt military commission proceedings pending the results of the review.

Finally, the Executive Order requires that conditions of confinement at Guantanamo, until its closure, comply with Common Article 3 of the Geneva Conventions and all other applicable laws.
http://www.boston.com/news/politics/politicalintelligence/2009/01/obama_orders_gu.html

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
Am I the only person who thinks this is good news? I don't see why you'd want prisons like Guantanamo to continue on as they are.