The problem with religion in politics...

Chapped Ass

Not all drugs are bad.
Founder
Oct 23, 2013
....is that no God would ever be ok with sharing power with a human-made government. The followers of a being they think is the supreme authority will always eventually seek to place that being in charge, even if that might conflict with their neighbor's beliefs. And when that headless being is in charge, it's never satisfied with anything less than total conformity to it's policies.

This might not be a terrible thing, if the being in charge showed it's face and set the record straight on what it wants, but that's never the case. It's demands for us ALWAYS come from the mouths of other humans who can't help but bring their own flaws, biases, and agendas in to it. So what you, by necessity, must wind up with is humans telling other humans what to do, only you can't question it because it supposedly came from an ultimate, perfect authority figure. It's funny that no matter how different all the gods of all the religions are from one another, the one thing they all just happen to share, by coincidence, is that anything they want us all to know gets distributed by word of mouth rather than direct contact.

I kinda dig my freedoms. I like being able to buy beer on a Sunday, because nothing in my faith prohibits it. I like not having my kids forced to pray to someone else's god. Most of all, I like that I'm allowed to believe whatever the fuck I want to believe without other humans making trouble for me over it. I've made peace with other humans having their own beliefs that differ from mine. I actually prefer that to a world where there is only one recognized truth. It places us in the position of being able to shop around and get to know other frames of mind. Without freedom of religion, it would be taboo to even learn about other people's cultures. It's comparable to the differences between free market capitalism and empty-throne despotism. We must protect the free market of ideas.

Secular governments are necessary to this. No one religion is so open that if put in charge, it would still be a fair place to live for all sets of beliefs. Laws must come from common human sense that can be argued with and reasoned with. It must stem from a source that is common to all humans regardless of individual differences. Sure, some religions are better than others, and some seem downright harmless, but they all, by nature, are aggressive and absolutist, which are two traits that are nothing short of poisonous to freedom.