Tipping

SlimSkeeter

Here is the scenario. You are at an all you can eat buffet. The question is: do you leave a tip? And why or why not?

Wenis

Hello Ladies.
Feb 18, 2009
If the waiters provide the drinks then yes, if they don't then I don't think there's is any tip necessary. Apart from putting the food out (for a group of people you happen to be included in), they haven't done anything for you personally. Unless I've spoken to a waiter I wont give a tip.

Titty

Proud White Boy
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Where the sun doesn't shine
Here is the scenario. You are at an all you can eat buffet.
I don't eat anywhere the food is piled in troughs for people to trudge through like cattle. Fuuuuuuck that.

do you leave a tip?
Hells no.

And why or why not?
It isn't my fault if their employer doesn't compensate them enough. Guilting people into leaving money behind is tantamount to begging.

And beggars get nothing but derogatory comments and soft drinks hurled at them from my direction.

Absinthe

Staff member
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Here is the scenario. You are at an all you can eat buffet. The question is: do you leave a tip? And why or why not?
Yes, I think you should. Of course it depends on the quality of service. Are your used dishes gone by the time you get back with round two? Even though this is not a big task, it is still service. I would not leave a tip if a) the used dishes stay on the table for too long and/or b) the waiter is basically waiting for me to finish whatever I am eating just to grab the plate as soon as I put my fork down.
Also, serving and refilling drinks also qualifies for a small tip.
I never left much. Maybe $3, less if I had to get my own drinks.

SlimSkeeter

My thought is basically the same as Jenn's. I get the food my damn self. They hand me a drink. Maybe refill it once or twice. Other than that they are glorified bussers. I don't tip at McDonalds, and they at least give me the food. I don't tip at the supermarket, even though they bag my groceries. I don't tip the bus boys and girls at a normal restaurant, either. Why should I tip for for the minor extra of getting me a drink that probably cost them about $.10 yet they charge me $1.50? Seems like that's a pretty damn good tip already.

I WOULD tip the cooks, if I were sure that it would get to them...but by the time whatever I may leave as a tip is spread over the kitchen staff, it would seem meager, I'm sure, and possibly insulting.

Clearing the dishes is not "service" it's necessity. They would quickly run out of dishes on a busy day if they waited until people left.

4nik8

Herban Legend
Founder
Mar 5, 2008
Hick-ville
Yes.

If they keep the food filled, my table clear and smile while serving me they get a nice tip.

If they look hot in the uniform they're wearing..they get a nicer one.

:D

Gzus

\m/ >< ..l.
Founder
Jun 20, 2009
booshz.
www.istheinternetfuckingawesome.com
I always tip at least 10% of whatever THEY serve ME.
Given that it has been done so promptly. Dont make me fucking wait, or forget the ice for my drink, ask twice etc etc.
If service was good, I'd tip more than 10%
If its a hot waitress, I'd probably tip regardless.

Of course, all this depends on my mood at the time.

Absinthe

Staff member
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
It's all in presentation. Come to work looking like a slob, expect to be treated that way. Take the extra few minutes to look nice, you'll be rewarded. Nothing at all sad about that.

I agree. But giving a higher tip based on boob size is not the right way.

Gravy

Trunk Monkey
Jul 1, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Nope. We don't tip down here. At all.
I lied. I tipped my lingerie waitress last night. I spent $80 on beer and gave her about $30 in tips. Clearly, she was targetting me and my fat wallet in my drunken state. And I don't think "Missy" was even her real name. I feel cheated.

SlimSkeeter

When I was in Anchorage, I walked into a club called Platinum Jaxx.

The bartenders were all hot chicks (which goes to what some of the other guys were saying about looking good). The one who was taking care of me was willing to go the extra mile. After two of my normal drinks (jack and coke) I said, "surprise me". She brought me the house specialty (It was blue, thats all I remember).

After that, I kept saying "surprise me" and she started getting the other bartenders in on it. They had a blast trying out new mixes on me, and I walked out and STILL don't know how I got back to where I was staying....I know I walked but how I managed to read street signs is beyond me.

THEY collectively got about a $60 tip on my $200+ tab (prolly a little less than 30%) basically because they went the extra mile. I tried to give my main girl a $20 all to herself but she threw it in the bucket anyway.

^^^ I am NOT a stingy person, is what I'm sayin. I just don't see the point of tipping at the buffet. Nobody has given me a logical reason for doing so.

Blood

Crimson Kunoichi
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
My thought is basically the same as Jenn's. I get the food my damn self. They hand me a drink. Maybe refill it once or twice. Other than that they are glorified bussers. I don't tip at McDonalds, and they at least give me the food. I don't tip at the supermarket, even though they bag my groceries. I don't tip the bus boys and girls at a normal restaurant, either. Why should I tip for for the minor extra of getting me a drink that probably cost them about $.10 yet they charge me $1.50? Seems like that's a pretty damn good tip already.

I WOULD tip the cooks, if I were sure that it would get to them...but by the time whatever I may leave as a tip is spread over the kitchen staff, it would seem meager, I'm sure, and possibly insulting.

Clearing the dishes is not "service" it's necessity. They would quickly run out of dishes on a busy day if they waited until people left.
You do know that people at Mc Donalds often get paid more than your average waiter right? People that actually have to wait tables have a better chance of getting tips, so they get paid a lower wage...

I worked at a buffet for a while and I can tell you that they aren't all run the same. The one I worked at had both a buffet AND a menu to order off of (even though the place was just labeled as a buffet) so I did have to take orders and bring stuff to tables the majority of the time(people will take freshly prepared food over questionable buffet food any day). I got paid as much as a waiter, yet hardly anyone tipped (not just me, but all of the rest of the wait staff too regardless of the service)because the place was technically a buffet...

That's why I say you should tip on a case by case basis... it's kinda rude to not tip someone based on a technicality... If they don't earn their tip, that's fine...don't give them one, but don't lump people together based on the type of the restaurant your at... That has nothing to do with tipping. You tip for good service. Period. :)