Today at work

SittinGrumpy

So, I was just outside with the smokers, they always have the most interesting conversations.

The director of this office is there and she is talking about having an improvement in one of our offices. She makes the statement, "having people there who give a damn about their job/work made all the difference"

This statement started a conversation about work ethic. The main point she made was that work ethic is a value and it starts as a child. Another employee disagreed and stated that people lack work ethic because of incentives. Another employee made the statement that boredom is a killer of work ethic.

I refused to get into this conversation at work; however, I thought here would be a good place.

I pride myself in my work. I do a good job because of self fulfillment not because I get a paycheck. I have always been considered a workaholic, I thrive on the stress of deadlines, the challenge of making everything balance. I have never just done the job I was hired for, I look for ways to learn other things, get involved, help in any way I can. I do a good job because I accept nothing less from myself.

Why do you do a good job?

Do you just go to work to get paid?

Do you really take pride in your work?

Do you think work ethic is part of your values, is it a learned behavior or does it change depending on incentives?

Blood

Crimson Kunoichi
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
That's actually a damn good question.

And now that i think about it, It does kinda make sense that your work ethic does have a lot to do with how you were raised.

Folks that had parents that had to bait them into doing what they were already supposed to do would probably be more likely to want more incentives to do a good job because that is what they are use to.
And on the flip side, folks that were raised to take pride in whatever task they were doing regardless of the reward would likely be hard workers simply for the joy for completing a task that needed to be done.

Personally, i don't believe the work place should be oppressive..but i do think it's kind of silly to expect to get some sort of reward for a job that you are already getting paid to preform. But that's just me.

SittinGrumpy

This question is so gray to me because I didn't have parents that taught me to give everything my best. In fact, I think I was in my mid twenties before I started to really care about my work. On the other hand, my parents were hard workers, my dad is a truck driver and mom was a waitress/fast food worker.

Glad you thought it was a good question :)

Blood

Crimson Kunoichi
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
This question is so gray to me because I didn't have parents that taught me to give everything my best. In fact, I think I was in my mid twenties before I started to really care about my work. On the other hand, my parents were hard workers, my dad is a truck driver and mom was a waitress/fast food worker.

Glad you thought it was a good question :)
I wonder though, were you raised to always expect something extra for doing good things? Like if you cleaned your room you'd get ice cream..that sort of thing.

Because i sure wasn't...my mom always taught us that when you get older, you have to take on more responsibilities regardless if they are "fun" or not. No ice cream rewards...just get yo ass in the kitchen and do your part. haha So naturally as i got older and started working i adopted the same"get yo ass in the kitchen and do your part" mentality, and applied it to my work. I was always a model employee regardless of how fair things were or how boring the job was. I just knew it needed to get done, and on top of things, i was getting paid for it, so i had better do my job to the best of my ability.

I just spoke to my fella about this and he said he was raised totally different. His mom did everything for him up until the time i met him because he wouldn't. But on the rare occasion that he did do anything it was due to hardcore bribery. Now when he goes to work he says he does actually feel like he should get something extra every once in a while if he choose to do a good job - otherwise he likes to slack off and sees nothing wrong with it.:rolleyes:

SittinGrumpy

I wonder though, were you raised to always expect something extra for doing good things? Like if you cleaned your room you'd get ice cream..that sort of thing.
Oh HELL NO!!! You jumped when they said jump or they beat your ass, period. I tell people that when mom said jump you started jumping, you didn't ask how high, you just jumped until she was satisfied.

I am not a parent so many will think this will disqualify my next statement but oh well its how I feel. I do not think bribery should be used at all to get a child to do as they should, I don't think you should be rewarded for doing right or doing what it is your responsibility to do. Rewarding someone for a job well done is a great thing but it shouldn't be expected to the point that not getting that extra pat on the back destroys your work ethic.

I was working for a local phone company in 2000-2002, after about 8 months there the other accountant in my department was fired. So until she was replaced I had to take on her job. Without divulging the entire story, I found over $75,000 that had been embezzled by a different employee. In the process I was given a rather nice award, the first of it's kind for that company. It was nice, hell, I still have the statue that they gave me, I still have a lot of pride in that I found it when my boss and the other co-worker missed it for over five years but I didn't dig to find it for the recognition, I did it because it was my job.

So I agree it's nice to get rewards but it is not why I work.

RapedBySeveral

Insert Member
Jan 8, 2010
Yougoslavia
I pride my self of being good at my job and am constantly surprised by the lack of appreciation . Was also raised not to expect a pat on the back for wiping my own ass, but this! I alone raised the amount of business by 20% in a very short time, and the fucker acts like he's doing me a favor when my pay comes in. Butchers, fuck em all.

Mamba

Uranium
Founder
May 22, 2008
I tend to enjoy my job most of the time.
I have a hard time with my Boss sometimes, because we don't really understand each other. But most of the time, we get on and have a respectful relationship - which is a bonus. I get along with everyone at work to a certain degree, some more than others. I can have a laugh at work with my colleagues, which is also a bonus. I have good hours, although I will work overtime more often than not to "show willing" and line myself up for a promotion in the not too distant future.
I think I do a good job because I am goal-orientated and think of my job as a long term prospect with added incentives. The fact that I enjoy it because of my work atmosphere, colleagues and general day to day work is a complete bonus.
I pride myself at being good at my work. I like the satisfaction of a job well done and glow with recognition. I'm a bit of a perfectionist at times and will work flat out for hours. Other times I just work to get paid and like not push myself too much. All work and no play... you know. - I kind of swing between two balances. (Guess that's my Gemini twin)

Gravy

Trunk Monkey
Jul 1, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I also enjoy my job. It is easy, pays pretty well and my co-workers are awesome.

I won't lie, though. There are some bad parts to it. It is promoted as a family-run business, but they treat you like cannon fodder. There was an incident in January where my girlfriend was rushed to hospital and I was told I had to finish the task I was doing before I could go see her, otherwise they'd issue me with a "written warning". Since then, I no longer work overtime or put any more effort into the job than needed. My co-workers and I have perfected our workload management so we beat budget each month to get bonus without having to work any overtime or doing anything more than necessary. The company has since caught on to this and has been systematically replacing the other brands employees with cheaper, British labor and apprentices. But, for the moment, we are untouchable!

By the end of next year I'll be working elsewhere, anyway!