Today's Toy market

Amythist

Sneaker Pimp
Mar 21, 2008
Why? Are you a stalker??
www.myspace.com
Ok,
What is up with the lack of awsome toys in the stores now.I been looking around for my sons 6th b-day present...and nothing seems worth it...all cheaply made and nothing under 40 bucks...I remember toys being the shit when I was a kid....

Polar Bear

ppbbtt! -excuse me.
Founder
Mar 5, 2008
Fucking aye.

I have a theory on why this is though....

Look at the kids shows we had back then. For boys, T.V. was a veritable goldmine of bad ass concepts, cool characters, and awesome battles fought between good and evil.

What do kids have today that compares to that? A cartoon where you catch little cute critters and basically make them cock-fight? So of course, the toys based on these lame ass shows reflect the same focus-on-originality-more-so-than-fun formula. It's horrendous, and I feel bad for kids.

G.I.Joe...Transformers...Thundercats...Silverhawks....these shows weren't exactly original in their scope (good team vs. bad team..mix..repeat) but its a fucking kids show. They're in it for the fun, not for breaking new ground.

And that's just the boys...I won't speak for the girls here, but I'm sure the same disturbing trend of originality-high conceptual-ism has all but taken the place of good old fashioned fun there as well.

Jenn

True Bitch
Founder
Mar 14, 2008
New Jersey
I agree with you, amythist. It was hard doing all of the Christmas shopping for my son because the toys were just crap. I learned my lesson, though. We spent a lot of money last year, and all he plays with really are the action figures, flying helicopters, and nerf guns. Those, IMO, are the best toys yet for boys his age.

Amythist

Sneaker Pimp
Mar 21, 2008
Why? Are you a stalker??
www.myspace.com
Right! I spent a but load on things he doesn't even take a 2nd look at. Plus at his age range his taste changes so frequently....he is however passionate about his transformers...he'll I am to...lol they are the shizzz nit! I walked toys are us at christmas and i found nothing appealing. I have to agree with polar though. Our shows back in the day were way better then what is out now....I do exclude spongebob though!!!! I will watch the hell out of spongebob!

Jenn

True Bitch
Founder
Mar 14, 2008
New Jersey
Right! I spent a but load on things he doesn't even take a 2nd look at. Plus at his age range his taste changes so frequently....he is however passionate about his transformers...he'll I am to...lol they are the shizzz nit! I walked toys are us at christmas and i found nothing appealing. I have to agree with polar though. Our shows back in the day were way better then what is out now....I do exclude spongebob though!!!! I will watch the hell out of spongebob!
Oh girl, I don't like the transformers toys they have out. My son drives me crazy because he has these ones where they turn into cars/trucks, and then robots, and he constantly wants me to change them for him, lol.

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
*nods in agreement* We bought almost no toys for our son. He has a bunch of crap from family though... and it just sits in the corner, never played with. I think the problem with the stuff they have now is that it requires no imagining to make it fun.

A plastic bowl can become the evil living hole from the original star wars that had teeth and ate people... or it could be a helmet... etc. For this reason, my son's usual toys consist of wooden spoons, stainless steal tongs, old shaver handles, a pair of old sweat shorts with a REALLY long drawstring, and of course, tupperware.

The crap they market to kids now is good for the first couple plays, and then it's just the same old thing over and over, so they want something new... hence the problem of the kid never being happy with all the stuff they have.

The simpler, the better. But the crap they're pumping out is all tricked out and way over stimulating with colors, lights, and sound.. it's just ridiculous.

:1:

Amythist

Sneaker Pimp
Mar 21, 2008
Why? Are you a stalker??
www.myspace.com
yup yup!!!! I look for things for my infant to play with and its like you expect a baby to understand all this...so i just save yogart cups and such.... he luvs remotes though...hahah so i went and bought him his own universal remote.....he thinks he is the king now!!!! hahaha . as long as he can throw it a good distance he is happy....

Jenn

True Bitch
Founder
Mar 14, 2008
New Jersey
yup yup!!!! I look for things for my infant to play with and its like you expect a baby to understand all this...so i just save yogart cups and such.... he luvs remotes though...hahah so i went and bought him his own universal remote.....he thinks he is the king now!!!! hahaha . as long as he can throw it a good distance he is happy....
Awww! My son loved cell phones. I had to get 2 replaced because they somehow wounded up in the cats water dish, or the toilet. But he thought he was a big shot, lol.

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
Hehe, my FIL did the remote thing too. Eagan was always fighting him for his (we don't have any at home), so he went and got him his own special remote. Too cute.

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Hong Kong, hiding from the Kommies!
Fucking aye.

...I won't speak for the girls here, but I'm sure the same disturbing trend of originality-high conceptual-ism has all but taken the place of good old fashioned fun there as well.
Yes, seems like fun has taken a step back to let in consumerism and consumption-ism.

Pop music bands out here must make their music to be used for CM's and ad's.
So sad really.

Jenn

True Bitch
Founder
Mar 14, 2008
New Jersey
yuppers....hehehe
I dont know how old your child is(not sure if you stated in this thread, but too lazy to look) but starting at 3, my son started taking a big interest in art stuff. So I went to target and got everything art for him, crayons, markers, glue, paints, popsicle sticks, feathers, etc, and I made a art drawer for him... he spends hours upon hours just making things for our fridge and his grandparents. Its great.

Chriss

BAMF
Mar 15, 2008
Tampa, FL
And that's just the boys...I won't speak for the girls here, but I'm sure the same disturbing trend of originality-high conceptual-ism has all but taken the place of good old fashioned fun there as well.
Its just as bad for the girls. There's nothing original anymore. The dolls that come out are too slutty (ie. Bratz) and its SO hard to find something for the not-so-girly girl like my daughter. Sure, she loves her princesses just as much as the next, but if you ask her what she wants to watch, she'll tell you Transformers or Spiderman lol...go figure.

I think the problem with the stuff they have now is that it requires no imagining to make it fun.

The simpler, the better. But the crap they're pumping out is all tricked out and way over stimulating with colors, lights, and sound.. it's just ridiculous.
I totally agree with this. A child needs to be able to use his or her imagination. That's what makes all of the toys we had as kids fun!

That's cute! Lex used to get ahold of my cell phone. No matter where I put it, or what kind of protective device I put on it, it would end up frying because of the drool...so I bought her one of her own!

i got a bit to go there on that one...he is 11 months old...right now everything goes straight to the mouth.....including feet...lol he luvs peoples feet...lol
My daughter was the same way! I don't know what it is, but alot of kids just love feet! ::sigh:: I miss that age. My little one turned 4 on the 19th...I miss that baby phase where they are just absorbing everything around them!

lianhan_shee

bitch in training
Founder
Mar 4, 2008
hell
I had the same delima when I went shopping for my daughter for the holidays but i do think I made a great choice.. All of the toys pretty much didnt leave anything for my daughter to do .. play with it sits on the floor so someone can step on it for the lack of interest.. So since she is always playing with my good camera. i went out and bought her a very inexpensive digital camera, that was it .. she loves it. She tells me that she wants to go all over the world and takes pictures. which in her playing she does.. She'll come to me with her worldly pictures and we put them on photoshop she picks the ones that she wants. then we edit them, fixing bad spots, print them and put them in a scrap book.. the only expence that i have is materials for the scrapbook.
but the time that i spend with her is amazing.. she 7 and is learning so much about photography and the computer. i leave her alone to "work" on things. watching her concentrate makes me giggle.. she does turn up with some grat pics though...

Shade

I fucking rule!
Mar 20, 2008
Nowhere
I agree with PB on this one. we need to have some decent shows. however, the few that are decent for kids ... they fuck up the toys. Lets take naruto. very actiony, hero's good and evil, all that crap. The toys are all on stands, and they have one action. break bricks or throw motion. now i loved chop attacion cyclops like the rest of the kids, but the whole line of toys shouldnt be that way. We always had the main one, and like the 3 knock offs with the action type thing. hell i still got my battle damage heman

Girls toys are pathetic. Caphador Cally? Watch me pee wanda? I took a dump the size of GDP inus? little Pukeing Petra? i mean when did the garbage pail kids become exceptable as a 5 yearolds doll? Then they got bratz.. Yea lets teach my daughter how to be a complete bitch...because we all know thats what a 12 yearold needs...more fucking attidute!

I should piss on the people who make the boy toys and bitch slap the girl toy makers.... what fucking rejects. At this point the girl toys are becoming more cool by my gens standard then the boy toys. Cause we would totally gross a girl out.