Unprofessionalism

funeeman

Spank Me!
Founder
Mar 3, 2008
North Main Street
I can't fucking believe people now days. Well. . actually I can as its pretty rare that people under 40 know what the fuck professionalism is. They think it means you get paid to do nothing except what you want too.

I have a sales guy (who is married to my cousin) that works for me who just gave his notice via email. He works in one of my outside offices but didn't bother to try to schedule a meeting or pick up the phone and call to tell me himself. Just sent an email yesterday at 11:09. I was unloading a truck at the time and scheduled to be on the road in the afternoon. I just happened to stop to check my desk for messages when I say I had and email. Had I not seen it then I wouldn't have know until this morning. What a pussy.

I guess it doesn't surprise me. He wasn't my pick for the job but I gave him every chance over the last 5 years. The guy never got the fact you needed to dress nice. We ended up buying shirts for him because he wouldn't wear a button down with a tie or if he did he'd wear a corduroy with a silk tie that was not even a complimentary color. His shoes were always horrible even thought every time we came down we told him it was time to buy a new pair. He'd wear a pair of cowboy work boots with slacks and our company shirt. He looked like white trash trying to be professional.

I'm not unhappy by any means. I had planned to terminate our contract in the fall, but you bet I would have done it in a professional way. He's a contract commission sales guy so he pretty much came and went as he please but he didn't service the area well and last year called into sick to his recommended office hours 63 days. Which as you can guess always had him behind in getting us information that we needed to do the work for his customers.

What does piss me off is that his last day is also the last day of our sale so he'll sit int he office the next two weeks and try to rake in the easy commission since I've spent $26,000 on advertising. Then he asked if he could have his quarterly commissions early since he won't receive a draw in July. (Which btw he didn't understand was an advance and thought he'd get it for his last two weeks of work)If he doesn't have the money they're pretty much fucked. (Which they are because he sucked with finances and I give it 6 months before they're bankrupt despite being given a $135,000 home for $50,000 and they've maxed out the mortgage.) I'm the godparent of his two kids so I'm not going to let my cousin and her kids get forced on the street because of this douche bag.

I guess the silver lining in it all is that he is the one leaving me instead of me terminating him so his downfall will be his own and not because I took away his job. So at least when the family bitches about it I can deflect the blame quite a bit.

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
Family, in the best of times sucks ass.

I'd never hire a family member .. ever. No good can ever come of it.

And yep ... society has changed and it feels to me like easy return is all most folks seek from any endeavor.

funeeman

Spank Me!
Founder
Mar 3, 2008
North Main Street
That's the exact reason I didn't want to hire him. However my father thought he would be good. Ex-military satellite communications, worked as international customer service for a house hold name company and was required to travel to different countries after natural disasters. On paper he looked pretty smart and professional. I questioned that but was over ruled with the "it will be a great opportunity for that family and it will double their annual income."

The first 18 months were pretty good at least at the average point and then it went down hill. The worst is guy the guy would never right shit down, we gave him every opportunity and created new work procedures to make his job easier for his talents etc and he still didn't get it. I'd catch him in little lies that I couldn't bust him on but did finally get him on a big one last month. A week later the 5th ass chewing came for the same thing (not following through on the orders with information needed to complete the contract) and this time I told my dad. . you hired him, I would have fired him 2 years ago..he's your problem. It was a glorious ass chewing if I do say so. And now. . two weeks later we got the resignation we wanted. Timing isn't great. .but we'll deal.

Firestorm

n00b
Founder
May 7, 2008
Somewhere
Never, ever, hire family. Nothing but grief and bullshit come of it. The only thing worse is loaning family money.

It used to be about what you could do to make things better in a job, now its about what you can get as fast as you can get it.

Funee, you could add insult to his resigning by sending him links to new jobs that you know he would never get.

funeeman

Spank Me!
Founder
Mar 3, 2008
North Main Street
He tells me he's gonna sell cars. So we know its a desperate move to get the hell out. He also got a call about a bank teller's job. I don't know how you feel good about going from a $60,000 year job that requires 30 hours of work a week to do properly and if you give it 40 you'd increase your sales another 20,000 easy just by actually following up on a lead or two, to a job that's going to at best pay you $25,000 per year.

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
I don't know how you feel good about going from a $60,000 year job to $25,000 per year.
It's different if it's something that will improve how content you are with your career/life.
My husband was making good money doing plumbing work in Austin. He hated it though. Very good at what he did, but he abhorred doing the same thing day in and day out, dealing with bitchy customers...
So he joined the US Navy (where he really likes his job). He makes much much less $$ now, but the contentedness factor is more important, in my opinion.

That said.. lol, this guy just sounds like he bumbles through life with his don quixote suit on :p

Negativecool

Gold Member
Founder
May 30, 2008
Internet
I'm under 40. I know what professionalism is. Sounds more to me like this guy is a thoughtless douche bag, of which there certainly are more of in today's society. You hired family; family that happened to be a thoughtless douche bag with little regard for professionalism...or work from what it sounds like.

Oopsy doodles.

Gravy

Trunk Monkey
Jul 1, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Unprofessionalism is posting grievances about your employees on a public forum. I hope he sees this and sues your ass for defamation. After all - it's the American way.

.. that sounded quite bitchy. I'm not actually being serious, just so you know.

funeeman

Spank Me!
Founder
Mar 3, 2008
North Main Street
It's different if it's something that will improve how content you are with your career/life.
My husband was making good money doing plumbing work in Austin. He hated it though. Very good at what he did, but he abhorred doing the same thing day in and day out, dealing with bitchy customers...
So he joined the US Navy (where he really likes his job). He makes much much less $$ now, but the contentedness factor is more important, in my opinion.

That said.. lol, this guy just sounds like he bumbles through life with his don quixote suit on :p
I understand that. I've switched jobs because I was miserable. This dude is changing it because he's too lazy to do what's asked. I would guess he's going to be unemployed in 3 months.

funeeman

Spank Me!
Founder
Mar 3, 2008
North Main Street
Unprofessionalism is posting grievances about your employees on a public forum. I hope he sees this and sues your ass for defamation. After all - it's the American way.

.. that sounded quite bitchy. I'm not actually being serious, just so you know.
I know it was tongue in cheek, but he's actually self employed he just sold product for me in a territory. He was allowed to make as much or as little as he wanted based on a wholesale price and he frequently changed the price according to the customer. He can sue all he wants as there was never an employer/employee relationship and of course I've not mentioned him by name or spoke of which of the three companies he represented for us so the industry is also vague.

Stickman

Dude!
May 18, 2008
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Can I for a minute defend my generation.

I do not believe that professionalism is inherently dead or even that this generation is not as strong of a workforce. The workforce has change in dramatic ways over the last even twenty years but I don't feel that this means that this generation is lazy and doesn't know how to graft. I think it all comes down to the individual. I have always conducted myself in the utmost professional manner. In fact it's one of things I pride myself on. In the last ten years of work I have only ever been late to work once which was one of the most personally disappointing days of my working life. The only jobs I have left I have given a formal written and signed notice to my employer and worked out the weeks of notice required. I have also never left a job through dissatisfaction with my employer. Although I have had several that have treated me poorly enough for me warranting doing so. I just don't believe in burning bridges. It could come back and bite you in the ass when moving forward in your career.

I know I put myself as an example. But I know many others like myself that I work with. One of my best work mates is leaving tomorrow. You couldn't find a more professional and exemplary worker. He will most definitely be leaving on great terms and will be sorely missed.

My point is that there is still class amongst the young. I think more so there has always been shit workers and always will be. I have little time and patience for people who put in the minimal and expect everything in return. But such is life. You can always sit and hope that everyone you work with gives a shit as much as you do, especially when it's your own business that they are representing. But it's just not going to be the case.

funeeman

Spank Me!
Founder
Mar 3, 2008
North Main Street
Can I for a minute defend my generation.

I do not believe that professionalism is inherently dead or even that this generation is not as strong of a workforce. The workforce has change in dramatic ways over the last even twenty years but I don't feel that this means that this generation is lazy and doesn't know how to graft. I think it all comes down to the individual. I have always conducted myself in the utmost professional manner. In fact it's one of things I pride myself on. In the last ten years of work I have only ever been late to work once which was one of the most personally disappointing days of my working life. The only jobs I have left I have given a formal written and signed notice to my employer and worked out the weeks of notice required. I have also never left a job through dissatisfaction with my employer. Although I have had several that have treated me poorly enough for me warranting doing so. I just don't believe in burning bridges. It could come back and bite you in the ass when moving forward in your career.

I know I put myself as an example. But I know many others like myself that I work with. One of my best work mates is leaving tomorrow. You couldn't find a more professional and exemplary worker. He will most definitely be leaving on great terms and will be sorely missed.

My point is that there is still class amongst the young. I think more so there has always been shit workers and always will be. I have little time and patience for people who put in the minimal and expect everything in return. But such is life. You can always sit and hope that everyone you work with gives a shit as much as you do, especially when it's your own business that they are representing. But it's just not going to be the case.
I'm just shy of 36 and I'm right there with you. I still say the respect people give their employers is rare and I think you're on to something when you state the work force has changed. Hell my dad would be gone for 6 weeks come home for a day or two and be gone again for another 6 weeks when I was a kid. He missed all kinds of shit that I was doing. Now days dads make it to pre-school programs, dance recitals etc that they just plain old missed a generation ago because it was expected that the guy would work. I just missed my kids first program because of work last Friday and she's 7.

More over I think we're just much more selfish and expect our companies to provide certain things for us as unspoken benefits. For them they'd change jobs an average of 2-3 times over the course of a life time. I think our generation is between 7 and 10. We're more fickle when it comes to what we want to do and how we view our employer. I