Using History to Make Cultural Conclusions

stopwatch

Family
Jul 11, 2008
In transition
I've noticed that there seems to be a lot of clashing opinions about the Japanese, but other than the anatomy of their eyes, there are no real current beefs.

I have one comment, that is all. There may be a time and a place to remember history to avoid catastrophic loss or unnecessary trouble, but there gets to be a point where it is no longer useful.

For example, wonder if the British refused to bury the hatchet over the Revolutionary War? The alliance that exists between our two countries is extremely mutually beneficial. A second, completely different example is the continuing racism between the blacks and whites of this country. The is some lingering backwoods racism, but mostly the whole thing is fueled by black folks refusing (in one way or another) to forget their slave days. It is not for me to say whether the time has come to forget and bury for both sides, but there it is.

These same arguments apply to cultural prejudices that we hold towards other cultures. IE - the Japanese

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Hong Kong, hiding from the Kommies!
I've noticed that there seems to be a lot of clashing opinions about the Japanese, but other than the anatomy of their eyes, there are no real current beefs.
Why should their eyes (question not necessarily directed at you) be a "real current beef" for anyone? Makes no sense to me at all.

I have one comment, that is all. There may be a time and a place to remember history to avoid catastrophic loss or unnecessary trouble, but there gets to be a point where it is no longer useful.
Not sure if I am reading this correctly. Seems to me that history is important.
Tells us who we were, who we are and who we will be.
Using examples of past history to "avoid catastrophic loss" is useful.
What other examples could you use other than past actions?

For example, wonder if the British refused to bury the hatchet over the Revolutionary War? The alliance that exists between our two countries is extremely mutually beneficial. A second, completely different example is the continuing racism between the blacks and whites of this country. The is some lingering backwoods racism, but mostly the whole thing is fueled by black folks refusing (in one way or another) to forget their slave days. It is not for me to say whether the time has come to forget and bury for both sides, but there it is.

These same arguments apply to cultural prejudices that we hold towards other cultures. IE - the Japanese
Good stuff written above.

Fishypancake

spoils milk
May 21, 2008
I found the part on the revoutionary wars to be interesting, but the rest sounds like pycho-babble [something I know quite well]. American racism is not really much of a hot topic anymore. I mean not only is there a man of color running for president [yeah I went there], but the only place blacks, and whites really clash to the point where it is worth discussing is compton, and the south. Two places nobody really cares to go anyway. Now I should not say that there is next to no racism in america because thats just not true. I know we are all tired of trying to understand that indian guy who owns all our gas stations, and donut shops. I would say that it is more everybody on the arabians [with lack of better cultural definition]. I dont know where they all are from nor should I feel obligated to care. We are all americans now , but I fail to recognise racism as a problem. People hate people because people suck.