Welcome to winter

SlimSkeeter

It happens every year. The snow melts and people forget how to drive in the stuff. Later (like now for instance) the snow returns with a vengeance and all the sudden its "fucking moron" season, also known as a Norther Michigan Winter. The roads are wet, it gets cold and snows, that means ICE under the snow, and I still get jackasses tailgating me on my way to work. I'm doing 45mph and slowing way down for curves, because my rear end has already tried to slide out from under me more than once when, to my astonishment, I see headlights in my rear view mirror. Not uncommon, really, as the road to work is a state highway. What astonishes me is the fact that the headlights seem to be coming from this side of my tailgate, and thats just too close.

A couple years ago I was in a horrible snowstorm, heading to my now defunct former employment, when I saw a car in the other lane, going way too fast, fishtail into my lane before flying off the other side of the road into a fairly deep ravine. Later that year, I was coming home from a former friends house and I passed a van on its roof.

The point is, its not that damn difficult to drive in winter. Slow your asses down and fucking pay attention. That whole "leave room for the other guy" idea comes into play, as well. The most I ever had happen to me in winter is hitting some slush and getting sucked into the deep snow on the shoulder of the road.

SlimSkeeter

That wouldn't have happened if you were going a little faster.
You are correct, had I been going a little faster I would have ended up in the ditch. Faster than that I would have ended up on my roof.

Americans can't drive even in perfect conditions.
Unfortunately, I'm forced to agree. However we are better than some cultures...the Japanese, for example, from what I'm told. Some days I wish there were an IQ test of some sort involved with getting a license. Yes I know there is a written test, but they give you the answers to study from before hand.

Jenn

True Bitch
Founder
Mar 14, 2008
New Jersey
Unfortunately, I'm forced to agree. However we are better than some cultures...the Japanese, for example, from what I'm told. Some days I wish there were an IQ test of some sort involved with getting a license. Yes I know there is a written test, but they give you the answers to study from before hand.
I wish they would stop giving licenses to those 50 and up.

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
That is 20 questions long and is so painfully easy you don't ever have to even flip through the book... and as for the driving test? Psh... I'd only driven around a vacant parking lot ONCE before taking it and passed just fine. That is very sad.

Someone with zero experience behind the wheel and no knowledge (other than observing its practice) shouldn't be given a license on the spot.

I even told that to the woman telling me I passed. "Lady, I just took the test to see what I was looking at and was coming back next week to..."

'Oh, well you did fine... I'm giving you your license.'
"What??"
'Yeah. Good work. Now, let me give you some pointers real quick... I'm in a bit of a hurry and this took longer than expected... my lunch break is here soon."

'Tards work at the DMV.

I wish they would stop giving licenses to those 50 and up.
Meh, I agree that there needs to be an age limit, but 50 is a little young. Benefit of the doubt, and I vote for 65. After that, there should be a designated family member "assigned" to carting their ass around.

It kinda works that way up here with the elder native people and it works great. The older the native, the less they take themselves places. I like it, I like it, I like it a lot! :)

...Or if they don't have a car, the family member puts up the cab fare and then granny gets to order some youngin around town. Hehehe

Negativecool

Gold Member
Founder
May 30, 2008
Internet
My driving test evaluator guy was the tits! He was an older gentleman who seemed pissed off at the world. I swear to god it must have been his last day before retiring because he didn't seem to give a fuck about anything. For instance, I was driving slowly in the parking lot to begin, what with there being a speed limit sign that said "15mph." Well apparently 15mph was a bit too slow for this guy because he turned to me impatiently and said "Nobody gives a shit about that, just step on it and let's get out of here."

I was sort of disappointed I didn't get a Nazi...I was very well prepared that day...didn't need to be though.

Anyway, you want the worst drivers in America? You'll find them in Iowa. They haven't the slightest clue how to drive on a freeway because they don't teach it. They don't know faster traffic stays left, they don't know that stopping at the end of an onramp isn't the best idea, and they don't know that driving in an inch of snow doesn't mean you have to slow to 25mph on the freeway. Christ! Bunch of fuckasses.
I never understood why car insurance rates are so low in the area. I'm not even kidding, if it snowed an inch, there were at least 4 cars in the ditch the next day within the 6 miles of freeway I travelled on the way to work. At least!
…
Bunch of fuckasses!!:khi1h:

Gravy

Trunk Monkey
Jul 1, 2008
Sydney, Australia
The English are almost as bad as Asians, too.

My line of work sees me driving very expensive luxury cars every day. The ones that come in all mangled, scratched and dented usually belong to either women or foreigners. I've got photos that would make you piss yourself laughing at the stupidity of some of these people!

They've only just recently starting to take licensing seriously here. 52,000 Provisional license holders in my state have lost their licenses in the past 500 days. I think that's awesome! One single speeding fine and they lose their license for 3 months. It's a good way to teach these inexperienced dolts that cars aren't indestructable and neither are they.

SlimSkeeter

I live in Michigan...those lakes surrounding us make for an interesting weather pattern all year. But mostly I hate wet snow. My place is situated so that really it needs to be plowed but all I have is a little walk behind snowblower that for some reason can't seem to hold on to its traction in slightly heavy snow and has a tendency to want to walk me over the snow rather than go through it. Stresses me out.

*Lins*

You Fail.
Founder
Mar 16, 2008
Canada
Hehehe, one of the few benefits of apartment living :D ... and my landlord is awesome and makes sure to have guys come out and haul off our snow every week :laluot_29:

I wish i had someone do it for me :( We got our first big snow fall about a week ago and I didn't even have a shovel! Went to go buy one and they were all sold out! I finally found a place that had one left, a lady was looking at it and set it down to go get her husband and while she was getting her husband I went and paid for it! Ya snooze ya lose! But yeah.. took me 4 hours to do the driveway:28:

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
I wish i had someone do it for me :( We got our first big snow fall about a week ago and I didn't even have a shovel! Went to go buy one and they were all sold out! I finally found a place that had one left, a lady was looking at it and set it down to go get her husband and while she was getting her husband I went and paid for it! Ya snooze ya lose! But yeah.. took me 4 hours to do the driveway:28:

I'd shovel your driveway ... I'd shovel it so damn hard !!