Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Celtic Crusher

Made You Look
Founder
Mar 3, 2008
Éire (Ireland)
The chicken or the egg?

Personally I think it was the egg. Some creature layed an egg. Whitin that egg was a new species called a chicken.

This is my opinion. What's your's?

Violet

Yaa!
Founder
Feb 28, 2014
I picked chicken.

No good reason, really. Your argument makes perfect sense.

Blood

Crimson Kunoichi
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
I picked the Chicken, but only because i figure it's just as likely that it evolved from something else and then just started laying eggs and stuff.

It would be kinda hard for a egg to keep it's self warm and not get broken long enough to hatch...even then, its a helpless baby, so i wouldn't think it would last long.

But nobody really knows fur sur either way. =)

Polar Bear

ppbbtt! -excuse me.
Founder
Mar 5, 2008
Actually, the only logical answer is quite obviously the egg. In any chicken's history, you can trace it back to a time when that particular chicken was an egg. By definition, a chicken's origin must have been from an egg, otherwise, it would not be a chicken at all; but rather some close cousin of the chicken that does not come from eggs.

On the other hand, tracing an egg back to it's origin runs the possibility of having been a creature very close to a chicken, but off enough so as to be called by another name. In this case, most likely some close cousin of the chicken that niether lays eggs nor comes from eggs, but has successfully mutated to where they could.

In other words...if you trace back the history of the species far enough...you eventually come to an event where (through the natural mutation of evolution) there was a parent animal very close to a chickeen that was an egg-laying mutant. the result of this egg being the first ever chicken.

Mutant's egg (aka. First ever chicken egg)---then chicken.

*bows* I thank you.

Negativecool

Gold Member
Founder
May 30, 2008
Internet
Basic understanding of evolution, genetics, and embryology would make clear to anyone the answer is the egg. The whole chicken's design and characteristics of adulthood have been mapped out well before it comes out of the shell.

Any evolutionary mutations that created the chicken as we know it today, occurred in the egg before hatching to chickenhood.

Scabman

I has title
Founder
Mar 20, 2008
Norwyay
Aren't that question just a fancy way to ask if you believe in creationism or evolution?
yes, it is.
I ain't religious, I says the egg came first!

Vi and blood, I did not know Christians came in size "hawt". That kinda opened my mind.

Scarlet

Founder
Mar 3, 2008
Fuck you all...I cheated and looked it up.

Chickens evolved from non-chickens through small changes caused by the mixing of male and female DNA or by mutations to the DNA that produced the zygote. These changes and mutations only have an effect at the point where a new zygote is created. That is, two non-chickens mated and the DNA in their new zygote contained the mutation(s) that produced the first true chicken. That one zygote cell divided to produce the first true chicken.

Prior to that first true chicken zygote, there were only non-chickens. The zygote cell is the only place where DNA mutations could produce a new animal, and the zygote cell is housed in the chicken's egg. So, the egg must have come first.

Negativecool

Gold Member
Founder
May 30, 2008
Internet
Fuck you all...I cheated and looked it up.

Chickens evolved from non-chickens through small changes caused by the mixing of male and female DNA or by mutations to the DNA that produced the zygote. These changes and mutations only have an effect at the point where a new zygote is created. That is, two non-chickens mated and the DNA in their new zygote contained the mutation(s) that produced the first true chicken. That one zygote cell divided to produce the first true chicken.

Prior to that first true chicken zygote, there were only non-chickens. The zygote cell is the only place where DNA mutations could produce a new animal, and the zygote cell is housed in the chicken's egg. So, the egg must have come first.
Isn't that what I said? Was I insulting intelligence by not giving specifics?

Scarlet

Founder
Mar 3, 2008
Isn't that what I said? Was I insulting intelligence by not giving specifics?
Several members said that, but this question wasn't about you and your thoughts. Celtic asked for opinions, not the first correct answer.