What if your town never existed

Fishypancake

spoils milk
May 21, 2008
What would the world be missing out on if your city, home town, wherever you feel the most comfortable was never created? I thought it was an interesting theory, and something to spark a conversation.

WILKES-BARRE, PA

What we are known for

HBO recognizes Wilkes-Barre as the birthplace of modern cable programming.
In November 1972, coincidentally the autumn that followed Hurricane Agnes, 365 subscribers of Service Electric Cable were the first to receive HBO's service.

Wilkes-Barre was a stop on the Underground Railroad before the Civil War.

Louis Philippe, the King of France from 1830 to 1840, stayed in Wilkes-Barre while traveling en route to the French Asylum settlement in 1797.

Wilkes-Barre has been a popular stop for many presidential candidates: U.S. presidents Rutherford B. Hayes, Grover Cleveland, Theodore Roosevelt, Harry S. Truman, John F. Kennedy, Richard Nixon, Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, Bill Clinton, and George W. Bush.

Described by many today as one of America's more "historical cities", Wilkes-Barre has gained considerable bad press (although it is not a major nationally recognized location) since the Knox Mine Disaster. In the 1960 presidential campaign, it garnered attention for its high levels of poverty.

In 1972, the damage done by the Agnes flood made international headlines.

In the 1990s, the city became known for the poor leadership of Mayor McGroarty.

In 2001, a Washington Post columnist described Wilkes-Barre as "awful" and "next-door" Scranton as "awfuler", describing the area as one of the worst metropolitan areas in the United States.

In 2006, the city made the front page of national newspapers when 200,000 residents were told to evacuate in the wake of flooding that was forecasted to reach levels near that of '72 but fell short of predictions.

Wilkes-Barre is the birthplace of the Planters Peanuts Company, which was founded in 1906 by Italian immigrant Amedo Obici and partner Mario Peruzzi.

Wilkes-Barre is or at least was for a time the supernumerary (third) testicle capital of the world.

It is said that one of the longest home runs in history was hit in Wilkes-Barre. This statement is quoted right from the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Yankees News page:"On October 12, 1926, Babe Ruth visited Wilkes-Barre's Artillery Park to play in an exhibition game between Hughestown and Larksville. Suiting up for Hughestown, the Yankee slugger challenged Larksville's hurler Ernie Corkran to throw him his "best stuff" -- a fastball right down the heart of the plate. Corkran obliged and Ruth crushed the pitch into deep right field. When the ball cleared the fence, a good 400 feet away from home plate, it was still rising. It finally landed in Kirby Park on the far side of a high school running track. Ruth himself was so impressed by the feat that he asked that his homer be measured. Originally estimated at 650 feet, the prodigious blast is considered to be the longest home run in baseball's storied history.

The Wilkes-Barre variation (or Traxler variation, as it is more commonly known) of the Two Knights' Defense is named for the Wilkes-Barre chess club.

Polar Bear

ppbbtt! -excuse me.
Founder
Mar 5, 2008
I'm from Philladelphia, so there's probably to many claims to fame to name. (<--Haha Rhymes!!)

Not least of all is singer/ songwriter/ thespian/ role model Will 'Fresh Prince' Smith whom if you recall was 'born and raised' in West Philadelphia. He chilled out, maxed, and relaxed all cool whilst shooting some b-ball outside of his school.

But in all seriousness, can you really say the world would be missing out on shit if your town never exsisted? I mean if there was no Philadelphia, some other town would just be in it's place. So it would be called by another name...big whup.

Furthermore, in like 90% of cases (that's an exact figure because I know and see all) had the act/invention/happening not occured at that time because of the lack of a town, it would just be accomplished by someone else, not far away, and not long after. I'm reasonably sure that significant human advancements and grand happenings are not solely dependant on chance, and therefore would still come about, even if not in THAT town.

And finally, 'awfuler' is not a word. I looked it up, so I know what I'm talking about.

Nanner. :khi7h: