Where to draw the line

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Hong Kong, hiding from the Kommies!
You see a bug caught in a spider web.
What do you do? Do you help poor little buggy?
Do you let nature take its course?

Pets and pet care:
Dogs have been companions for over 100,000 years.
I'm guessing pet care was minimal compared to todays standards and if poochie got sick or maimed, too bad. Doggy has to take natures course.

Today, we do what we can. Dogs have surgeries these days and live. 100,000 years ago, dogs died without surgeries.
So, are we not stepping over the line and interfering with natures way?
Where do you draw the line?

BTW, you can attempt to answer or just come up with your own questions and examples

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
No. Bug dies.

Pets are a non-human member of the family most times. Like any other member of my family, I'd do what I could (if I liked it).

Many humans are supposed to die but are kept alive by medical science, including a bazillion babies who should have died before/just after birth.

The one side of me says: Don't intervene. That's just too much.

The other side of me says: That is the coolest technique I've ever seen! Let's do it again. Look, there's a dying one right there! I wonder how early you can keep em alive from?! (babies) ... Or, simply from a medical perspective, saving people's lives in general can be really interesting.

So, I'm torn.

For most dying decrepit old people, I have little compassion for the school of thought that says to keep them living for as loooooooooong as possible. When I'm old, I want a choice to put me and my family out of misery - using drugs/techniques available to me through the medical community. Else, I might have to sneak out the hospital (decrepit, shitting on myself, etc.), buy a gun, and do the deed myself. So messy :(

SlimSkeeter

^^ yes, I have to agree, mostly. Bug in the spider web dies.

My pets have always been family members, with all the good and bad that entails. In fact, I treat my dog better than I treat some of my relatives simply because the dog is loyal... Therefor I tend to make sure they are happy and healthy.

I was just discussing the "right to die" idea a week or so ago. When I feel I've fulfilled my usefulness, and I'm happy with what I have done with my life, and before I need someone to start changing my "biper" again and making sure I don't drool on myself, I'll take things into my own hands. Preferably in as painless way as possible. I'll hopefully have given out everything that I want to give to anyone close to me before that fateful night, too. (anybody want dibs on my baseball cards?)

perfectlyimperfect

Still a bit noob
Nov 9, 2009
Fayetteville, NC
I'm going to let the bug die, but only because I think the feel of getting spider web on me is creepy.

However, about the dog. It's true that they just died whenever when they first became our companions. Times have changed. Since we have domesticated them and suppressed their instincts that they used to have to a point that they would rather cower from the abusive hand of a person rather than bite the damn thing off, it is our responsibility to take care of the poor things. Now I'm not saying you need to spend all of your hard earned money and put yourself into debt trying to get some surgery for an animal, but do what you can and if you need help either place them in a shelter or have them *wince* humanely euthanized.

About the people being put on life support that was mentioned a couple lines up. I feel as though one should do everything humanly possible to help babies and children. However once someone gets old and has lived their life one should take time to think about things. If someone is going to come out of it an entirely different person than they were when they went in, say as a vegetable or severely brain damaged, you have to think if that is what that person would have wanted. Would they have wanted to need the constant supervision and help of someone else. Would they have wanted every scrap of their dignity ruined? I don't think we should leave someone on indefinite life support with machines controling their every bodily function, lungs, digestion, heart, etc. However I do believe that if someone has a chance to recover from the problem we should do everything in our power to save that person, unless they signed a DNR. I mean what would it say about us as a species to not use all of the knowledge that we have gained to better someone's state? It would be like having the cure for cancer and not telling anyone just because you are an ass.

Sorry that was so long....

Guess Who

Jun 25, 2009
usa
Okay if a bug is in a spider web i let nature take it's course the spider has to eat. When it comes to pets for me at least. My pets are like my children. I will do what i can to help them live a great life.
For excample my american bull dog had a piece of a toy enlodged in her intenstine. I took her to the emergency vet. I paid close to 2'000.00 For them to get the toy out of her stomache. Now i know it is a lot of money. But the way i look at it is that a parent would pay that much for thier child's surgery. So i am going to do that for my dog.