Who are you talking to?

mcsmc

Yaa!
Apr 4, 2008
Have you ever IMed someone, only to have the reply come back, "this isn't <person you were IMing>, this is <some other person>"?

It's funny, uncomfortable, and disappointing all at the same time... especially if that other person has no fucking clue who you are.

Absinthe

Staff member
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Have you ever IMed someone, only to have the reply come back, "this isn't <person you were IMing>, this is <some other person>"?

It's funny, uncomfortable, and disappointing all at the same time... especially if that other person has no fucking clue who you are.
I got emails for someone else... They "invited me" to a party. I replied that they got the wrong person (I am nice, you know), but it took a while for them to believe it.

Jenn

True Bitch
Founder
Mar 14, 2008
New Jersey
I have my husband say that if he's at my computer and tells me that someone IMed me. Sometimes if I don't want to talk to someone, I even lie and say that.

mcsmc

Yaa!
Apr 4, 2008
I got emails for someone else... They "invited me" to a party. I replied that they got the wrong person (I am nice, you know), but it took a while for them to believe it.
Fuck that. I'd have gone to the party.

mcsmc

Yaa!
Apr 4, 2008
It's not mean! It's a lot nicer than going, "Hey, I dont want to talk to you."
That's what invisible/away messages are for. And not lying messages, either. Something like "Busy, I might respond, I might not", with "busy" meaning you're busy breathing for all you care.

Jenn

True Bitch
Founder
Mar 14, 2008
New Jersey
That's what invisible/away messages are for. And not lying messages, either. Something like "Busy, I might respond, I might not", with "busy" meaning you're busy breathing for all you care.
I have the kind of friends who will IM me for like an hour straight if they don't see an idle message next to my name. I hate it when i actually look and it's "Hello!" like 10 times, or "I know you're there" So, in order to save myself from a hundred messages, I just say, "This is Jay, Jenns busy right now" or Im not here or something. And I dont use YIM anymore, and I know on AIM, you can tell if a person is invisible if you click on their name and it tells you how long they been on. Ive had friends do that as well.

mcsmc

Yaa!
Apr 4, 2008
I have the kind of friends who will IM me for like an hour straight if they don't see an idle message next to my name. I hate it when i actually look and it's "Hello!" like 10 times, or "I know you're there" So, in order to save myself from a hundred messages, I just say, "This is Jay, Jenns busy right now" or Im not here or something. And I dont use YIM anymore, and I know on AIM, you can tell if a person is invisible if you click on their name and it tells you how long they been on. Ive had friends do that as well.
Why are they on your list if you don't want to talk to them then? What's the point?

Jenn

True Bitch
Founder
Mar 14, 2008
New Jersey
Why are they on your list if you don't want to talk to them then? What's the point?
So you never have days where you dont want to be bothered by some people? I have over 100 people on my AIM friends list.. I don't want to talk to all of them all of the time.

mcsmc

Yaa!
Apr 4, 2008
So you never have days where you dont want to be bothered by some people? I have over 100 people on my AIM friends list.. I don't want to talk to all of them all of the time.
Yeah, and that's why I use YIM, it's got better privacy options. AIM is gay that way.

Absinthe

Staff member
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Haha, okay. It all makes sense now.
Yep... I got more emails for the same person only a few weeks later. Luckely, I knew what was going on and when I send my reply I included the correct email.

Shade

I fucking rule!
Mar 20, 2008
Nowhere
Thats why i use like 3 difernt messangers. I keep the people i don't usually want to talk to on one, the people i always like talking to on another, and buisness and work related on another. That way i can just disconnect one on trillian if i want to avoid that part of my life. Yay for avoidance! But man, i think only 2 people have access to all my messangers. But thats just because i always enjoy talking to those people and i an tell them to leave me alone.