Who is Neda?

Scarlet

Founder
Mar 3, 2008
Who is Neda apart from just another dead Arab?
Who shot her and why?
Why is the government suppressing all reports?
Does it suit the super powers to stand back and allow these atrocities to continue?

Because of the restrictions imposed on the international media and reporting within Iran it is impossible, as yet, to verify independently much of what has been claimed.
It would appear that at the time of her death, Neda was 26 years old and the kind of intelligent, liberal-minded, middle-class young woman who has been at the forefront of many of the demonstrations against the Islamic hardliners in recent days.

But in an interview with the BBC Persian service, Makan gave a very
different account of his fiancee's death. He apparently suggested that Neda had been caught up accidentally in a demonstration.

He said that she supported neither the president nor the defeated candidate, Mir-Hossein Mousavi, but was sympathetic to the protests.

'She was near the area, a few streets away from where the main protests were taking place,' he was quoted as saying. 'She was with her music teacher, sitting in a car and stuck in traffic. She was feeling very tired and very hot. She got out of the car for just a few minutes.'

Although the Iranian state media has chosen to ignore her story and the government has banned public displays of mourning for her, Neda's face is appearing on placards and posters around Tehran.

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
It's IRAN.

A media blackout is situation NORMAL in that region.

Protests have happened, on a smaller scale, for the last 20 years that I know of, they are almost ALWAYS quickly and quietly displaced.

Every country has its perfect storm of sedition or rebellion and youthful exuberance at some point in its history .. now is as good a time as any for Iran.

More power to em ..

Negativecool

Gold Member
Founder
May 30, 2008
Internet
Didn't 12 or 13 other people die? What's pissing me off about this, isn't that she was killed or how Iran is dealing with the protesters, but that it is ONLY her life being taken that is considered so epically tragic to the media. (because she personified western ideals?)
Martyr for freedom my ass. She was just a woman that wasn't ugly who had the unfortunate accidental luck to stand in the trajectory of some flying bullets.

TopGrey

Family
Founder
Jul 30, 2008
NC mountains
Didn't 12 or 13 other people die? What's pissing me off about this, isn't that she was killed or how Iran is dealing with the protesters, but that it is ONLY her life being taken that is considered so epically tragic to the media. (because she personified western ideals?)
Martyr for freedom my ass. She was just a woman that wasn't ugly who had the unfortunate accidental luck to stand in the trajectory of some flying bullets.
It pains me to agree with Neg, but to some degree I do.
That she died as a protestor or as a bystander to the protesting is tragic. But to idolize her and make her a (dead) celebrity is just business as usual for the bullsh/t media.

Scabman

I has title
Founder
Mar 20, 2008
Norwyay
It's somewhere between 28 and 150.
They need someone to be the face of the victims, since people don't react on numbers anymore. And it's not only the western media, but the protesters in Iran use her to personify themself and as a symbol of oppression.