Whoa, color me intrigued.

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
Interesting. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on Silk.

If you are into such nerd-ness you'll dig the explanation from their chief project manager about how the cloud will manage the hardware and decouple the hard from soft thereby allowing a mobile device to be bitchin' fast !!

ENJOY !!

[video=youtube;_u7F_56WhHk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u7F_56WhHk[/video]

Pud

Yaa!
Founder
Apr 20, 2010
Interesting how we both looked at this through different lenses. I'm seeing a heavy-duty shift in marketing away from being an aggregator and support provider into an Apple-esque retail brand. Just the way they rolled out the Fire was direct copy of an Apple product launch (including this slick video).

Apple, Google, and Amazon. Should be fascinating to watch it all shake out. Most home devices are soon going to be glorified slave terminals.

There's a small-biz opportunity here for white-box builders/supporters who create intensely customized solutions for boutique local markets.

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
There's a small-biz opportunity here for white-box builders/supporters who create intensely customized solutions for boutique local markets.
I'm not so sure. The big babies are so well entrenched in the patent area that just getting a foot in the door these days either takes millions of dollars ( not even counting R&D) or a new radical idea that is likely to be a hit regardless of name on the box.

I honestly can't recall a "new idea" in my entire adult life span that did not already have a major player as a name tag. What start up has that kind of money to bring an item to market without a sponsor?

An aside; I worked for Motorola when I was 16+ ( lied about age .. yaa ! ) As a term of my employment I had the option for stocks. At the time Motorolla was close to putting a lot of eggs in the "mobile architecture" basket. And their marking baby was a 12 pound briefcase phone.

Dumb ass Gary decided that no one in their right mind would carry around a damn suit case just to make a phone call when there was a pay phone every 1/4 mile in most every city. I sold the Stock, Joined the Army instead @ 17 !!

Sigh ....

I imagine that trying to glean the next big thing today is a far more voodoo based science than laughing at a suitcase with a phone in it. Thankfully I have no stomach for tech stocks .. or stocks of any kind for that matter.

Pud

Yaa!
Founder
Apr 20, 2010
"Big" -- or even patentable -- ideas rarely make for good business models unless you're dialed into the power structure in such a way as to be able to defend your position with overwhelming force. Think MS (who, ironically, has never had a new idea) and Facebook.

The small-biz opportunity lies in providing services. There will always be a local business that needs a customized on-site hardware/software solution. That's what I meant by "white box"; not that you build it. Just that you use off-the-shelf components and open-source software to design, implement and support a unique deliverable to a specific client.

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Hong Kong, hiding from the Kommies!
For those who are not in the know, something has been floating around for the past few years (no pun intended) called "Cloud Computing".

This may give some insight. Get used to this term. You are going to see it a lot from here on out.

Cloud Computing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing

"Cloud computing provides computation, software, data access, and storage services that do not require end-user knowledge of the physical location and configuration of the system that delivers the services. Parallels to this concept can be drawn with the electricity grid, wherein end-users consume power without needing to understand the component devices or infrastructure required to provide the service."

mcsmc

Yaa!
Apr 4, 2008
^^Thank you Captain Obvious. Cloud computing hasn't just "been around", it's already a popular part of the technology world as we know it, and will likely be the main drive for how we use electronic devices in the very near future.

I personally hate the whole idea. Its claims of more reliability are wrong. It's actually less reliable for responsible people that make backups of their data, etc. It's also less secure, and uses more energy overall. I won't even go into the privacy concerns.

Pud

Yaa!
Founder
Apr 20, 2010
I personally hate the whole idea. Its claims of more reliability are wrong. It's actually less reliable for responsible people that make backups of their data, etc. It's also less secure, and uses more energy overall. I won't even go into the privacy concerns.
This is where the niche market lies. Most people will be happy to shed the expense, weight and continual learning required to maintain on-site computing. Small businesses, however, don't have that luxury. They need to KNOW that their information is secure, reliable, redundant and resilient. If you're a guy or gal who can put together and maintain a white-box system using open-source software, you've got the ability to make yourself a good living.

For those who think that small business is a thing of the past: for now, yes it is. But there are hundreds of Black Swans circling on the horizon that might land anytime now. If one does, there are some very large companies that will go *poof* and leave a huge vacuum. Upgrade your skills and be prepared for rollout when it happens. You'll make money.

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Hong Kong, hiding from the Kommies!
^^Thank you Captain Obvious. Cloud computing hasn't just "been around", it's already a popular part of the technology world as we know it, and will likely be the main drive for how we use electronic devices in the very near future.

Thank you for basically repeating what I obviously posted, thereby substantiating my purpose of the post.

Whilst may be true in your part of the world, is just catching on in mine as a 'trendy' word to throw around, pretending others will comprehend your hip-ness.

It seems that I failed to stress "may" as in "This MAY give some insight..........for those who may not be in the know."