Working the night shift

jeepneasy

Dude!
Jul 14, 2009
Central, CA
Working the night shift... been doing it for over four years now and it goes with out saying "you never get used to it you just endure it". Anybody else hear work the dreaded graveyard shift? Any tips.... (other than ambian and large amounts of vodka)???

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
skeeter works nights too. I probably should. I've always had low energy during the day and a spike of productivity as soon as the sun goes down... comes back up and I'm sleepy haha

btw... ambien is the devil.

If your body naturally runs on a day time schedule, but you're working the night shift... I doubt it will ever change. Four years in and it's still difficult to manage - is there any way you could consider a career change or somehow switch shifts?

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
One of the catch phrases from my previous career was " we own the night", Some people are naturally gifted when it comes to energy reserves and some suck ass with less than 10 hours of sleep per day.

The ONLY true method, without being a medicated zombie, is mobility I.e. get up and move often. If you are stuck in front of a screen punching buttons then the only advice I have is to get yourself on a reverse schedule, your body clock will adapt.

Blood

Crimson Kunoichi
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
Get some really heavy curtains over your windows and you'll never know the difference. hehe
I've never worked anything other than graveyard, and my fella currently works graveyard, so it's pretty much become normal life to us.

But it's not for everyone, if your body doesn't get use to it after a while I'd really consider asking for a shift change if that's possible.

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
Oooh, or these puppies !

My dad had black out shades throughout his master back in texas. He used the ones that can be opened either top to bottom or vice versa - even in a light color, they blocked ALL light completely. The top to bottom option is great, especially for mornings when the early sun is glinting off every.thing.in.sight. and shining directly in your window... and scorchingly into your eyeball.

Are you keeping on your "work" schedule even when you have time off? Getting up and going to bed at the same times every day, even if you don't have to can help to train your body.

SlimSkeeter

Yeah, Josie is correct. I've been working 3rd shift for many moons now. Its not all that difficult to get used to, honestly. At least it wasn't for me. And even now that I have weekends to myself, I can flip myself around to a daytime schedule for saturday, get things done, have fun, and be back on my midnights schedule by monday night when I go back to work, but that maneuver is specifically for us elites. You MUST keep a schedule for yourself for a while in order to get your body rhythm in tune simply because the human body is designed to work in the daytime. Its not entirely natural for us to be active at night. Left to its own devices, your body will naturally return to a daytime schedule.

Yeah...now that I'm skimming some more of these replies, I have to agree. Stay active and stimulated and if you have a hard time falling asleep when the sun is up, either get some of those blackout shades mentioned or buy those cute little sleep masks you see the hoiy-toity ladies wear in the old movies and soap operas or whatever. And if you still can't train yourself for this, then you are only gonna burn yourself out. I've seen it done.

Guys come to 3rd shift so they have time to do things during the day (spend time with kids, play their little video games, whatever) then they find that initially they may have LESS time for this while they are getting adjusted and they give up. Some dont' adapt at all. I knew a kid who would slam quite a few energy drinks per night just to get by.

If you can''t handle it, get transferred to another shift, bottom line.

May 25, 2009
I don't work graveyard anymore, but I did a few years ago. My sleep cycle was beyond fucked up. Dark curtains would help like the others have stated. My biggest problem would be I would sleep too much during the day, probably because I would wake up constantly. Dark curtains solved that, or in my college freshman style at the time.. blankets nailed over the window.

Blood

Crimson Kunoichi
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
I don't work graveyard anymore, but I did a few years ago. My sleep cycle was beyond fucked up. Dark curtains would help like the others have stated. My biggest problem would be I would sleep too much during the day, probably because I would wake up constantly. Dark curtains solved that, or in my college freshman style at the time.. blankets nailed over the window.
Ha! I use to totally ghetto rig my shit too!
At first i tried sheets, but my sheets are always too thin unless i fold them a billion times, so I'd just tack up a big ass comforter and call it good.:laugh:

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
tack up a big ass comforter and call it good.:laugh:
We did that this summer haha! In AK it's bright 24/7 for most of the summer. Chitlens don't snooze too well with that. So... we pinned up a king size comforter to our window and double thick medium weight fleece blanket in their room. I took mine down - theirs is still up. My toddler sleeps like a rock in there lol

jeepneasy

Dude!
Jul 14, 2009
Central, CA
Thanks for the feedback... been doing graveyard for a while and does not look like it will be changing anytime soon. The black out shade are the best (although I just moved and a, waiting on some new ones) don't care for the sleeping pills because they make me to groogy.....was just curiouse as to what other night shifters do....